Mark Recchi

Recchi on lockout: Time for players “to think like businessmen”


Mark Recchi has a message for locked-out NHL players — get a deal done now, because the owner’s offers won’t get any better.

That’s what the former Bruin told the Boston Globe, explaining that players need to “think like businessmen” as the lockout approaches Day 60.

“The longer it goes, the worse [the offer] is going to get [for the players],” he said. “Hey, I’m an owner, too, so I see both sides. We lose money on our team, and obviously that’s not the same, the money’s not nearly as significant as in the NHL, but the business dynamics are similar. We’ve lost money every year we’ve owned it.’’

Recchi is a part owner of the WHL’s Kamloops Blazers. That, along with his lengthy playing career, gives him a unique perspective regarding work stoppages.

He was in Philadelphia for the strike of 1992, in Montreal for the 1995 lockout and signed with Pittsburgh out of the 2004-05 lost season (he was eventually traded to Carolina that year, and won the Cup with the ‘Canes.)

Recchi says that, based solely on the numbers, it makes sense for players to resume playing.

“The longer they’re out, the revenues are going to go down and down,’’ he said. “Corporate sponsors aren’t going to be lining up . . . so there goes that money. The schedule isn’t going to be 82 games, I don’t think, at this point. That’s more money lost.

“So, how are you going to get a better deal? Personally, I think the best time is now.”

Recchi also made a salient point about the perception of “winning” and “losing” negotiations.

The NHLPA was largely considered to be the latter after the last CBA, yet eventually emerged with a number of massive salaries and a 57 percent share of record revenues.

“Look at that last deal,” he said. “We ended up with the cap and everyone thought it was a bad deal. But it ended up great, right?

“No matter what the system is, or has been, the players get their money.”

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
1 Comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”

Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
1 Comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.