Detroit Red Wings forward Dan Cleary has already lost an entire season to a lockout and back in September, he thought that the current work stoppage might end up costing him 2012-13 as well.
“I think people don’t think it can go a year,” he said at the time. “As players, we think it can. Maybe longer.”
At times that gloomy warning has looked potentially prophetic, but recently the tone has changed. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the NHLPA’s Steve Fehr had a marathon negotiating session on Saturday that they both felt covered a lot of ground. The meetings are expected to continue this week and the NHL plans to say very little publicly, which should be taken as a positive sign.
All that has made Cleary “cautiously optimistic” going forward, according to The Detroit News.
“Any time Steve (Fehr, players association executive assistant) and Bill (Daly, NHL deputy commissioner) are saying the same thing, it’s a positive thing,” Cleary said. “For sure there’s some optimism, there’s some light. There’s a ton of time to get a deal done.
“We said all along we’ve agreed to get to a 50-50 revenue split, which is important for them. Honoring contracts is pretty important for us.
“This is a good step. But I would hate to say this looks great and there is going to be a season. There’s too much at stake right now.”
Cleary thinks we’ve entered a critical stage and the next two weeks might save or signal the beginning of the end for the 2012-13 campaign. The pressure is on, but we might finally be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.