Marc Savard

Bruins’ Savard: “There is no comeback in the foreseeable future”


On Monday, Marc Savard gave an update on his concussion recovery — and unfortunately, it doesn’t sound good.

The Boston Bruins veteran, who hasn’t played since Jan. 2011 due to lingering post-concussion symptoms, took to Twitter to inform his followers as to where his health is at:

Savard’s concussion woes began in Mar. 2010, when Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke delivered a hit to Savard’s head on a blindside check.

While he was able to eventually return to the lineup following the Cooke hit, Savard was knocked out of action again 10 months later after taking a knock from Colorado defenseman Matt Hunwick.

That hit caused a second concussion, one that may have ended the 35-year-old’s career.

In announcing that Savard would miss the entire 2011-12 campaign, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that “based on what I see, what I hear, what I read, and what I’m told, it’s very unlikely Marc will play again.”

Avs unveil new third jerseys

Avs Jerseys

The Avalanche will be throwing a bunch of different looks at us this season.

Having already released specialized “Mile High” jerseys for February’s Stadium Series game, the Avs unveiled new third sweaters on Friday — less than 24 hours after a bitter 5-4 home loss to Minnesota in their season opener.

(Guess Colorado wanted to send out some good vibes after blowing a 4-1 third-period lead.)

While undoubtedly exciting for the organization, the release of these new thirds isn’t taking anybody by surprise. Last month, several websites published leaked images of Colorado’s and Anaheim’s third jerseys, so the design has been in the public eye for several weeks.

The Avs will debut these new thirds on Oct. 24, in a Saturday night tilt against Columbus.

Related: Roy explains why he didn’t call time out

Report: Escrow set at 16 percent

Gary Bettman, Donald Fehr
1 Comment

Hey, remember in June when the NHLPA voted to keep the five-percent growth factor in spite of increasing worries about escrow?

Well, here’s why that decision was a significant one, via TSN’s Frank Seravalli:

With early revenue projections in place, the NHL and NHLPA set the escrow withholding rate for players at 16 per cent for the first quarter of the season on Thursday.

That means every player will have 16 per cent of earnings deducted from their paycheque and put aside until after all of this season’s hockey-related revenue is counted to ensure a perfect 50-50 revenue split with owners.

Now, this doesn’t mean that the players will definitely lose 16 percent of their salaries. Typically, they receive refunds when all the accounting is done.

Still, 16 percent is a good-sized chunk to withhold. They won’t be thrilled about it.

Related: To understand escrow, consider Duncan Keith