Players haven’t been shy about slamming owners during the lockout, but many expressed guarded optimism regarding the latest proposal from Gary Bettman & Co.
A “grinning” Alex Tanguay told the Calgary Herald’s Vicki Hall the following:
“This gets the ball rolling,” Tanguay said. “That’s what we were talking about. We were hoping something would come out – whether it was on their side or our side.”
His teammate Jarome Iginla called it a “big move.”
Henrik Lundqvist told ESPN that he’s putting off signing overseas to see what happens with these developments.
As happy as some players were, a big chunk probably agree with Steve Montador that there’s still much work to do.
Jody Shelley is one of several players who treat the proposal as the start of talks rather than a big breakthrough, as he told CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
“Glad they’re talking big issues and seems like it may be a point to which we finally get serious. But who knows,” Shelley said.
An anonymous player admitted that he isn’t sure Nov. 2 is a “realist date” to start the season, according to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
Even so, the tone is much-improved from just a day ago, when players such as Shawn Horcoff were slamming the NHL’s stance while pointedly referring to Gary Bettman by his first name.
We’ll see if Thursday’s meetings create more positivity or send things back to the ugly, spin-heavy zone.
More details regarding the offer
When to expect an NHLPA response
Deal must be done by Oct. 25 to preserve 82-game season
Teams would be able to go above salary cap with new offer
NHL proposes five-year maximum contract terms
Owners offer 50-50 revenue split
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.