Defenseman Dougie Hamilton is playing for the OHL Niagara IceDogs and goaltender Malcolm Subban has gotten off to a hot start with the OHL Belleville Bulls. However, both could end up reporting to the Boston Bruins’ camp if the 2012-13 campaign is saved.
“They made an amendment to the NHL’s agreement with the Canadian Hockey League that will allow us to extract at the very least [Dougie] at the time of camp,” said Chiarelli in a CSNNE report. “There are a small number of players per team you can take because we have to be fair to the CHL teams as well.”
Chiarelli also said that Subban might end up reporting to the Bruins’ camp, but only if there’s a “catastrophic injury.” The Bruins projected goaltending duo of Tuukka Rask and Anton Khudobin are both playing overseas during the lockout.
At this point, any scenario that leads to a 2012-13 campaign will probably only involve a shortened preseason, which means teams will likely limit invitations to those that have a legitimate shot of making the squad. 2011 first-round pick Hamilton certainly qualifies after recording 72 points in 50 OHL games last season.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.