Mike Ribeiro

Ribeiro: Union won’t make the same mistake again


The NHLPA and NHL are talking again, but the threat of a lockout remains.

No one wants a lockout, but Washington’s Mike Ribeiro also doesn’t want to see the union cave to the owners’ demands.

“It’s hard to understand why they want another 20 percent back and keep the same contracts,” Ribeiro said, according to CSNWashington. “It’s hard to understand why, but I think this time we won’t make the same mistake we did a few years ago by giving them 24 percent. …Why would you give your boss back money he gave you?”

It’s the player’s belief that the NHL’s latest proposal will effectively result in a 19.3% salary rollback. However, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly disagrees.

“What I will tell you is that our proposal last Tuesday would have reduced the players share by 11 percent in Year One, … 8.5 percent in Year 2 and … 5.5 percent in Year 3,” Daly said. “In Years 4-6, it would have been at or above as we continue to grow revenues to prior levels. So I don’t know where they’re getting 20 percent.”

Ribeiro also doesn’t believe that the league’s proposal will help close the gap between the NHL’s financial juggernauts and struggling clubs. In Ribeiro’s eyes, “They want us to fix the mistakes they made.”

Sharks send three to AHL; still waiting on Torres suspension

Nikolay Goldobin, Brent Burns
Leave a comment

The San Jose Sharks have assigned forwards Nikolay Goldobin and Melker Karlsson and defenseman Mirco Mueller to AHL San Jose.

Goldobin and Mueller are both first-round picks — the former in 2014, the latter in 2013.

Goldobin had one goal and two assists in five preseason games. It’s possible he could be called back up when the NHL suspends Raffi Torres.

Torres remains part of the 23-man roster (see below) but is facing a lengthy ban for his hit on Anaheim’s Jakub Silfverberg. Torres has a hearing today.

Rookie defenseman Dylan DeMelo is also on the roster. The 22-year-old had one goal and two assists in four preseason games.

Sharks roster

Glencross released from another PTO, this time by Avs

Washington Capitals v Ottawa Senators
1 Comment

Curtis Glencross’ hard-luck preseason continued on Monday, as the Avalanche announced they released him from his training camp tryout.

Glencross had previously been cut from Toronto’s camp, which he described as “kind of a shock” move. Following that release, the 32-year-old quickly shifted to Colorado but arrived fairly late in the overall process, and only got a bit of exposure before being let go.

While some thought yesterday’s trade of Freddie Hamilton to Calgary may have opened up a spot for Glencross, the Avs now appear to be going in a different direction.

A two-time 20-goal scorer that netted 13 in 71 games last year, it’s unclear what lies ahead for Glencross.