San Jose Sharks v Vancouver Canucks - Game Two

Offseason Report: San Jose Sharks

9 Comments

From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.

2011-12 season

43-29-10, 96 points, second in the Pacific Division, seventh in the Western Conference. Lost to St. Louis (4-1) in the conference quarterfinals.

Additions

Adam Burish, Brad Stuart

Departures

Daniel Winnik, Torrey Mitchell

2012 Draft

First round, 17th overall — Tomas Hertl (Slavia, Czech Republic)

Looking back

Despite a disappointing 2011-12 campaign and the subsequent questioning of Todd McLellan’s and Doug Wilson’s job security, the Sharks went largely unchanged. For some, that was an odd decision given San Jose posted its lowest point total in six seasons.

Wilson’s lone noteworthy acquisitions were defenseman Brad Stuart (who returned to the Bay Area to play in a top-four role) and Adam Burish, brought aboard to add more sandpaper to the lineup (Burish wasted no time confirming he’d add abrasiveness.) The Sharks signed steady defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic to a five-year extension and re-upped with TJ Galiardi, but lost bottom-six forwards Daniel Winnik and Torrey Mitchell to free agency.

UFA forward Dominic Moore remains unsigned, and his status will likely remain undecided as he deals with his wife’s liver cancer.

Looking forward

The most noteworthy changes occurred behind the bench, where Hockey Hall of Famer Larry Robinson and ex-Caps assistant Jim Johnson came aboard as McLellan’s right-hand men. Robinson’s presence looms large, given he’s won a Stanley Cup as a head coach (and lost a Cup finals as well) — but while it might look like he’s a coach-in-waiting should McLellan get fired, Big Bird insisted he’s not there to take McLellan’s job.

Robinson’s job, one would assume, is to fix San Jose’s penalty kill. The Sharks were awful while shorthanded a season ago, finishing 29th in the NHL on the PK (76.9 percent).

One thing to watch will be how Wilson treats his roster as the start of the season draws near. He’s got a history of shaking things up (see: Dany Heatley, Brent Burns, Martin Havlat) and has been uncharacteristically silent on the trade front…so far.

Have your say

Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Sharks’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.

What are Vancouver’s deadline plans after losing Sutter (broken jaw) and Edler (fractured fibula)?

Brandon Sutter
1 Comment

After a good Tuesday night, the Vancouver Canucks are having a lousy Wednesday morning.

The club has just announced that center Brandon Sutter and defenseman Alex Edler have been sent home from the club’s current two-game road swing, after suffering injuries in a win over Colorado last night.

Craig Oster, Sutter’s agent, told News 1130 his client has a broken jaw after taking a puck to the face. Per TSN, Edler is undergoing “imaging” on his foot following a blocked shot, but it’s believed he’ll be out the next 2-3 weeks.

Update: Fractured fibula for Edler.

The impact of these injuries will be profound.

Vancouver hasn’t been good this year but remains in the thick of the playoff chase, sitting just four points back of the Avs for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference — with three games in hand.

At the same time, the Canucks are trying to rebuild, and have two potentially big trade chips at the deadline in pending UFAs Dan Hamhuis and Radim Vrbata.

Will the Sutter and Edler injuries factor into Vancouver’s future plans?

You’d have to think so.

Edler is a staple on the back end, leading all Canuck blueliners in points (20) and TOI per game (24:27). Sutter, meanwhile, was supposed to be a key piece of the club this year but has had most of his season ravaged by injury — prior to the broken jaw, he missed 33 games following sports hernia surgery.

All told, Sutter has appeared in just 20 games this year.

His is also the second major facial injury suffered by a Canuck this season — Hamhuis only recently returned from a 21-game absence after taking a puck to the face in mid-December.

Kings place Ehrhoff on waivers

LOS ANGELES, CA - DECEMBER 05:  Nick Bonino #13 of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Christian Ehrhoff #10 of the Los Angeles Kings head for the piuck during the first period at Staples Center on December 5, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Getty
4 Comments

The Los Angeles Kings have placed defenseman Christian Ehrhoff on waivers, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

A veteran of almost 800 NHL games, Ehrhoff has not fit well with Los Angeles after signing a one-year, $1.5 million deal in August. The 33-year-old has just 11 points in 40 games and is a team-worst minus-10. Though he had two assists in last night’s 9-2 win over the Bruins, he also took a careless tripping penalty in the first period that led to a Boston goal.

In a related story, the Kings are rumored to be looking for help on the back end. In fact, they were reportedly quite interested in Dustin Byfuglien, before he re-signed with the Jets.

According to Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider, 23-year-old defenseman Kevin Gravel is “on the verge of a recall” from AHL Ontario.

The Kings play Thursday in Brooklyn.

Report: Kadri’s throat-slashing gesture being reviewed by NHL

Nazem Kadri
AP
1 Comment

Nazem Kadri‘s throat-slashing gesture is under review by the NHL, according to TSN.ca.

The Maple Leafs forward made the gesture while sitting on Toronto’s bench last night in Calgary, moments after he was laid out by Flames captain Mark Giordano.

The NHL first started cracking down on the throat-slashing gesture in 2000. Former NHLer Nick Boyton was suspended twice for making the gesture, first in 2006 then again in 2010. He was banned one game for each incident.

Fix coming? Blues activate Schwartz after 49-game absence

Jaden Schwartz
1 Comment

After Tuesday’s loss to the Jets — the Blues’ fourth in their last six games — head coach Ken Hitchcock said his club has “got to play harder than this” and “got to compete at a lot higher level than this.”

He then added “it’s up to us to fix it.”

Well, help is on the way.

On Wednesday, the Blues activated forward Jaden Schwartz off injured reserve, after he missed the last 49 contests with a fractured left ankle. Schwartz is expected to be in the lineup on Friday when the Blues take on the Panthers in Florida.

The 23-year-old should provide an immediate boost to the lineup. Schwartz had four points in seven games before getting hurt, and that came on the heels of a successful ’14-15 campaign in which he posted career highs in goals (28) and points (63).

The Blues’ first-round pick in 2010 (14th overall), Schwartz is a 17-18 TOI per night guy, so he’ll be a big presence almost immediately. His return also inches the team back to full health, though there’s still a ways to go — Alex Pietrangelo and Jake Allen are still week-to-week with knee and lower-body injuries, while Steve Ott is out until late February following hamstrings surgery.

Related: Armstrong wants Blues to get healthy before any trades are made