The Washington Capitals wrapped up their development camp today, and with that, addressed the media on a variety of topics. Here’s a collection of some of the most important, interesting and amusing bits.
(Note: gathered media had some of the same quotes, so each bit will get linked to Katie Carrera, Neil Greenberg, Chuck Gormley, Brian McNally and Stephen Whyno respectively.)
- GM George McPhee expects to announce one of Adam Oates’ assistant coaches next week.The best hint was provided by Oates, who said that he played with him. (I’d assume it’s not Brett Hull, which is a bum for Maneating-pun-makers.)
- Mike Ribeiro addressed the media for the first time since becoming a member of the Capitals. He said he’s glad to wear No. 9. Oates had the highlight quip about Ribeiro via Greenberg, though.
Oates on Ribeiro: “A lot skinnier than I thought he would be. Looks like a rapper.”
- McPhee views the expired qualifying deal deadline with Mike Green as an “artificial one” and seems optimistic that a deal will get done soon.
- McPhee made an under-the-radar, low-risk/high-reward move by signing Wojtek Wolski for just $600K this summer. When asked to explain the move, he said he was “glad to sprinkle in more talent.” More amusingly, he also said he gets “seduced by talent from time to time.” (Some might get seduced by the lure of making a meme out of that quote.)
- To close things off, Whyno has an interesting piece where Filip Forsberg kinda sorta compares himself to Corey Perry.