howsonap

Report: ‘Canes pull out of Nash bidding after Howson demands Skinner

46 Comments

It’s understood Columbus GM Scott Howson expects big returns for Rick Nash.

But are those expectations getting too big?

That appears the case for at least one team as TSN’s Darren Dreger reports Carolina has pulled out of Nash bidding — after Howson asked for Jeff Skinner in return.

“Hurricanes are no longer persuing [sic] Rick Nash,” Dreger wrote. “Cost way too high. CBJ believed to be after Jeff Skinner. Non-starter.”

Skinner, 20, won the 2011 Calder Trophy after scoring 31G-23A-63 points as an 18-year-old rookie — that same year, he became the youngest player to ever participate in an NHL All-Star game. The former Kitchener Ranger had 44 points in 64 games last year after his season was interrupted by a concussion.

In short, he’s one of the best young talents in hockey.

He’s also a player that Carolina was never going to part with, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer.

“If Skinner had to be included in any Nash deal, it was never going to happen,” Alexander tweeted. “That point was made clear weeks ago.

“[‘Canes GM Jim] Rutherford won’t comment on Nash situation. Said ‘Canes could could have interest in Doan, Semin. Reading between the lines: Canes are moving on.”

If true, Howson’s demands follow what Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported earlier this week — the asking price for Nash is sky high:

The Rangers have made it clear they will not include Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider or DerekStepan in a deal to bring the 28-year-old Nash to Broadway.

Nevertheless, Howson continues to demand that one — and perhaps two — of the three be part of the package in return for Nash, who has a no-move clause and has provided the Blue Jackets with a short list of teams to which he will accept a trade.

While Howson seems firm in his “I’ll be patient/I want what I want” stance, one wonders if he’s got an accurate gauge on the market. Nash’s no-trade clause and select list of approved teams means Howson’s only dealing with a handful of teams as opposed to all 30 NHL clubs.

That said, Nash could end up increasing the number of approved teams if/once he realizes Howson’s playing hardball.

Tavares ‘would love’ to spend his entire career with Isles

John Tavares
AP
Leave a comment

With new majority owners and now talk of a new arena, the future of the New York Islanders has been a popular topic lately.

Not surprisingly, it’s led to plenty of discussion about the future of captain John Tavares, who can become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2018.

Ownership has insisted that it won’t get that far, that Tavares will be re-signed. The Isles will have “no financial constraints,” owner Jon Ledecky promised.

But what about Tavares? What does he think?

“I think I’ve always showed my commitment, my appreciation and my desire to play on Long Island,” the 25-year-old told Sportsnet 590 radio on Tuesday, per NHL.com. “I would love for that to continue for the long haul. I think you look at some of the greatest players in the game have been able to spend their entire career somewhere. I hope I’m in that same position.”

As for the speculation he could sign in Toronto?

“I would not count on that,” he said.

So start the countdown to July 1, 2017. That’s when Tavares can officially start negotiating an extension with the Isles.

Perhaps by then we’ll even know where the team will be playing its future games. Will it be Brooklyn or somewhere else?

Sens re-sign Hoffman to four-year, $20.75 million deal

Mike Hoffman
AP
1 Comment

Only 18 NHLers have scored more goals than Mike Hoffman has over the last two seasons.

Today, the Ottawa Senators signed the 26-year-old sniper to a four-year contract with a reported cap hit of $5.1875 million.

Hoffman had an arbitration hearing scheduled for Aug. 4. The breakdown of his new deal, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman:

His contract done, Hoffman can now focus fully on next season, which he’s excited about.

“New coach coming in, Guy Boucher, I had him in junior when I played in Drummondville of the Quebec League,” Hoffman said recently. “Very good relationship with him, we won a championship together. So definitely looking forward to working with him this year.”

As for Sens GM Pierre Dorion, he’s still got some offseason work to do. Defenseman Cody Cedi is a restricted free agent, and there’s no arbitration date to encourage a settlement in his case. While Dorion is confident that something that will get done with the 22-year-old, what remains to be seen is if it’s a short- or long-term deal.

Hurricanes extend contract of head coach Bill Peters

Bill Peters
AP
Leave a comment

The Carolina Hurricanes may have missed the playoffs in each of Bill Peters’ two seasons behind the bench, but GM Ron Francis is clearly pleased with the job his head coach has done.

Today, the ‘Canes announced that Peters has been signed to a contract extension through the 2018-19 season.

“Bill is a talented, young coach in the National Hockey League,” said Francis in a release. “We are happy that he has made a commitment to the Hurricanes, and that he will be a major part of the team continuing to grow.”

The ‘Canes still won’t be a popular pick to make the playoffs in 2016-17, but with all the young talent that the organization has amassed, Peters will certainly be expected to get them there before his contract expires. (The ‘Canes were actually a pretty solid possession team last season, but were let down by their goaltending and inability to convert scoring chances.)

Carolina last made the playoffs in 2009.

Related: ‘Canes enjoying stronger ticket sales, but ‘fence-sitters’ still need convincing

Report: Caps draftee DiPauli heading to free agency

PITTSBURGH, PA - JUNE 23:  Thomas Dipauli, 100th overall pick, walks on the draft floor during day two of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft at Consol Energy Center on June 23, 2012 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Getty
3 Comments

Just like Jimmy Vesey, Thomas DiPauli appears ready to test the open market.

DiPauli, a Notre Dame forward taken 100th overall by Washington at the 2012 draft, will reportedly hold out past the Aug. 15 deadline to sign with the Caps and head to unrestricted free agency, per ESPN.

A 22-year-old that’s spent the last four years playing for the Fighting Irish, DiPauli scored 14 goals and 32 points in 37 games last year, finishing as the team’s offensive MVP while earning honorable mention Hockey East All-Star honors.

DiPauli was a notable absence at Washington’s recent prospect development camp. More on that, per CSN Mid Atlantic:

[DiPauli] has attended previous Caps development camps, so the club decided not to invite him this summer.

According to a team spokesman the Caps remain interested in signing DiPauli by the NHL’s Aug. 15 deadline.   

ESPN corroborated DiPauli’s interest in signing with the Caps, but it’s not surprising to hear he’s looking for opportunities with another organization.

Washington is fairly loaded at forward, and still has a handful of young prospects in the system — including ’14 first-rounder Jakub Vrana, recent Boston College signee Zach Sanford and 24-year-old Russian winger Stanislav Galiev, who was stuck in healthy scratch limbo for long stretches this season as the club didn’t want to lose him on waivers.

As mentioned above, DiPauli could play the open market like Vesey plans to later next month.

Though Buffalo traded to acquire his rights from Nashville, the reigning Hobey Baker winner has a shortlist of other teams he’s interested in signing with.