Boston Bruins v Vancouver Canucks - Game Five

Gillis on Luongo trade talks: “There’s lots of teams that are interested in an all-star goalie”


Canucks general manager Mike Gillis spoke to TEAM 1040 radio this morning in Vancouver to provide an update on Roberto Luongo and the club’s attempts to trade the 33-year-old goalie.

According to Gillis, there’s no shortage of interest out there.

“We talk to teams every day,” said Gillis. “There’s lots of teams that are interested in an all-star goalie, even though some people refuse to believe that, which is stunning to me because great players are so difficult to get.”

But when asked if a deal was inevitable, Gillis wouldn’t commit to anything.

“Maybe, maybe not,” he said. “We have a lot invested in Roberto, and it may or may not come to pass.

“I could get a phone call in 10 minutes with an offer that is something we would have to consider and would consider and see where it went. You may not get one for two weeks and calls that we’re making may not result in what we’re looking for.

“It’s very difficult to make trades in this business, but oftentimes as the framework’s being laid, something happens, something’s inserted, a player’s included, or a player’s excluded, and suddenly you can make a deal.”

It’s believed Luongo’s first choice is a trade to Florida; however, it’s not known if he’d consider other destinations like Toronto or Columbus.

Nor is it known which teams are interested in Luongo, who everyone knows comes attached to a rather lengthy contract.

And if teams are interested, how interested are they? Enough to give up an asset? Or, are they only willing to send a liability (aka a bad contract) back the other way?

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One
Leave a comment

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.