2012 NHL Stanley Cup Final – Game Six

Robitaille on Quick signing: “We want to build something special”


Technically speaking, the Los Angeles Kings’ steal-of-a-deal* with Jonathan Quick won’t really be official until July 1. (The same can be said for Sidney Crosby and Tuukka Rask’s pacts, actually.) While Kings GM Dean Lombardi said he’d rather discuss the deal in further detail then, Kings president of business operations/fan favorite Luc Robitaille wasn’t so shy to Rich Hammond.

“Jonathan, he’s one of the players we’ve had for a long time in our organization. From Dean and Ron Hextall and our entire organization’s point of view, it was very important that we get things right with him,” Robitaille said. “We’ve known, for the last three years, the kind of player he is … So it was important for us and our plan, for the next seven, eight, 10 years, knowing that we have Drew (Doughty) with us and Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, to make sure that he was part of our organization during that time.’

Getting Quick for (an anticipated) cap hit of about $5.8 million is a masterstroke, but it’s far from the only bargain you’ll find on the Kings’ roster. Robitaille marvels with the rest of us regarding Lombardi’s ability to sign guys to beneficial and shrewd contracts.

“We want to build something special,” Robitaille said. “Everybody knows Dean Lombardi is a great builder. You look back three or four years ago, and it’s safe to say that we took our time and we did things right. That being said, keep in mind that even though it looks good now, we signed Anze Kopitar before he became the player he is today, and we signed a few of those guys before. We took a gamble and it was the right gamble … We feel we’re in a good position now, and for the next few years, that we’re going to compete for it every year.”

It certainly seems that way, doesn’t it? Robitaille didn’t really reveal the Kings’ off-season plans, but it wouldn’t be shocking if the team decides to make some minor tweaks. Still, Robitaille was quick to say that “we’re talking to all of our guys that helped us win the Stanley Cup,” so retention might be the key.

The Kings already covered the biggest part of that, though – even if it won’t be official until Sunday.

* – Relatively speaking, of course.

Stars place Lehtonen on IR, call up Campbell and Nemeth

Leave a comment

Kari Lehtonen will miss at least a few games with the upper-body injury he suffered the other night against Ottawa. The Dallas Stars announced today that they’ve placed the 32-year-old goalie on injured reserve, retroactive to Tuesday.

With Lehtonen out, Jack Campbell has been called up from AHL Texas to be Antti Niemi‘s backup. The Stars host Vancouver Friday, with a game at Minnesota Saturday.

Campbell, the 11th overall pick in the 2010 draft, has struggled in the AHL this season, going 3-3-0 with an .873 save percentage.

The Stars have also recalled defenseman Patrik Nemeth.

Related: Campbell credits ECHL stint for turning his game around

Gleason ends tryout with ‘Canes

Tim Gleason, David Desharnais
Leave a comment

Tim Gleason has likely played his last NHL game. The 32-year-old defenseman has informed the Carolina Hurricanes that he no longer wishes to continue his professional tryout.

“Tim informed us today he wasn’t going to continue to pursue his tryout,” said GM Ron Francis, per the club’s website. “He looked and felt good physically, but didn’t feel up to the grind of the NHL mentally.”

Gleason started last season with Carolina before he was traded to Washington in February.

In his career, he’s played 727 NHL games, plus 32 more in the playoffs.

Isles call Strome back up

Ryan Strome, Johnny Boychuk
1 Comment

Ryan Strome has been called back to the New York Islanders, the club announced this morning.

The 22-year-old returns to the NHL after eight games with AHL Bridgeport Sound. He had been sent there three weeks ago, after a tough start to the season.

Strome had two goals and two assists during his stint with the Tigers.

The Isles’ next game is Friday at Florida.

McLellan on Oilers’ loss to ‘Canes: ‘That’s a really disappointing effort from our hockey club’

1 Comment

With the addition of Connor McDavid, 2015-16 was supposed to be the year Edmonton showed significant progress on the ice.

We’re less than two months into the season, McDavid’s out because of a broken clavicle, and the so-called progress just hasn’t been there.

On Wednesday, the Oilers hit a new low, as they were handed their fifth loss in their last six games at the hands of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins opened the scoring in the first period, but Carolina answered with four unanswered goals by Jordan Staal, Elias Lindholm, Jeff Skinner and Andrej Nestrasil to win 4-1.

“We got outcompeted in the second period, badly,” Mark Letestu told the team’s website. “Whether it was little puck battles or even just executing on systems. It played right into their game. When you get behind a team like this that’s so dominant in the circle it’s tough to generate chances to come back. We didn’t deserve to win this one at all.”

As if things weren’t bad enough, the Oilers also lost Nail Yakupov to injury after a linesman (yes, a linesman) fell on top of him.

After the game, head coach Todd McLellan didn’t hold back:

Edmonton collected 14 points in the first 22 games of the 2014-15 season and after the same amount of games this year, they have just one more point.

They’re currently alone in last place.