According to the Los Angeles Times, Kings defenseman Drew Doughty is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault.
Los Angeles County prosecutors are reviewing an allegation by a woman who alleges she was sexually assaulted earlier this year by L.A. Kings player Drew Doughty, a district attorney’s spokeswoman said Tuesday.
“It’s under review,” said spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons, who declined to detail the allegations, citing the office’s pending decision. “I expect a resolution this week.”
Doughty’s attorney, Craig Renetzky, said that although the case was technically under review, he expects it will be rejected this week.
The Times reportedly placed “numerous calls” to the Hermosa Beach Police — the department that handled the investigation — none of which were returned.
In related news, Renetzky took to Twitter to announce he was representing Doughty in response to the current allegations. Based on his account, Renetzky has a history of representing NHLers in legal matters, including Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek and former Kings assistant coach Mark Hardy.
UPDATE: TMZ reports that “law enforcement sources” say Doughty won’t be charged, and that the alleged incident occurred on Mar. 1.
UPDATE 2: More details from the Times, who appear to have made contact with the Hermosa PD.
Sgt. Robert Higgins said the 25-year-old woman told police she met Doughty at a bar near the Hermosa Beach Pier on March 1. The two went to Doughty’s home, where she turned down a proposition in front of several teammates.
They took a cab to her home, where she accused Doughty of raping her.
The woman reported the incident to police the same day.
Higgins said detectives asked her to call the hockey player while they listened, but she refused. He said the woman has been “less than cooperative” and that the district attorney’s office and police have “found credibility problems.”
The district attorney is expected to decide by Friday whether to prosecute, he said.
The woman has hired attorney Gloria Allred to represent her.
The alleged incident coincides with a five-day break during Los Angeles’ regular season schedule. The Kings returned home after a Feb. 28 game in Minnesota and didn’t play again until Mar. 3 — a Saturday home date against the Ducks.