Report: Kings’ Doughty investigated in alleged sexual assault (Updated)


According to the Los Angeles Times, Kings defenseman Drew Doughty is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault.

More, from the Times:

Los Angeles County prosecutors are reviewing an allegation by a woman who alleges she was sexually assaulted earlier this year by L.A. Kings player Drew Doughty, a district attorney’s spokeswoman said Tuesday.

“It’s under review,” said spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons, who declined to detail the allegations, citing the office’s pending decision. “I expect a resolution this week.”

Doughty’s attorney, Craig Renetzky, said that although the case was technically under review, he expects it will be rejected this week.

The Times reportedly placed “numerous calls” to the Hermosa Beach Police — the department that handled the investigation — none of which were returned.

In related news, Renetzky took to Twitter to announce he was representing Doughty in response to the current allegations. Based on his account, Renetzky has a history of representing NHLers in legal matters, including Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek and former Kings assistant coach Mark Hardy.

UPDATE: TMZ reports that “law enforcement sources” say Doughty won’t be charged, and that the alleged incident occurred on Mar. 1.

UPDATE 2: More details from the Times, who appear to have made contact with the Hermosa PD.

Sgt. Robert Higgins said the 25-year-old woman told police she met Doughty at a bar near the Hermosa Beach Pier on March 1. The two went to Doughty’s home, where she turned down a proposition in front of several teammates.

They took a cab to her home, where she accused Doughty of raping her.

The woman reported the incident to police the same day.

Higgins said detectives asked her to call the hockey player while they listened, but she refused. He said the woman has been “less than cooperative” and that the district attorney’s office and police have “found credibility problems.”

The district attorney is expected to decide by Friday whether to prosecute, he said.

The woman has hired attorney Gloria Allred to represent her. 

The alleged incident coincides with a five-day break during Los Angeles’ regular season schedule. The Kings returned home after a Feb. 28 game in Minnesota and didn’t play again until Mar. 3 — a Saturday home date against the Ducks.

Bruins’ second line officially goes under the microscope

Leave a comment

While much has been written about the Boston Bruins’ depleted defense, there’s also a good amount of intrigue about the forward group, which will look dramatically different tonight compared to last year’s season opener.

Here are the Bruins’ expected lines versus the Jets:

Brad MarchandPatrice BergeronLoui Eriksson
Matt BeleskeyDavid KrejciDavid Pastrnak
Jimmy HayesRyan SpoonerBrett Connolly
Chris KellyJoonas KemppainenZac Rinaldo

The line most under the microscope may be that second one. In today’s Boston Globe, there’s a lengthy story on Krejci. The 29-year-old center with the big contract only played 47 games last season due to injuries. He finished with just 31 points.

So, where is Krejci’s game now?

Then there’s free-agent addition Matt Beleskey, a.k.a. Milan Lucic‘s replacement. Prior to scoring 22 times last year for the Ducks, the 27-year-old Beleskey had never tallied more than 11 goals in a season.

So, is Beleskey a legitimate top-six forward?

On the other wing, it’s David Pastrnak, the 19-year-old who, somewhat surprisingly, emerged as one of the top rookies in the league last year.

So, can Pastrnak take another step forward?

“It’s been a good three plus weeks where we’ve been able to kind of work individually, as a group, as a line, with different players and different personalities,” said coach Claude Julien. “We’re pleased with it. We’re optimistic and we just have to let things work themselves out too.”

Lucic: If I wanted to hurt Couture, ‘I would have hurt him’


Last night in Los Angeles, Kings forward Milan Lucic received a match penalty after skating the entire width of the ice to give San Jose’s Logan Couture a two-hand shove to the face.

Lucic didn’t hurt Couture, who had caught Lucic with an open-ice hit that Lucic didn’t like. Couture’s smiling, mocking face was good evidence that the Sharks’ forward was going to be OK.

This morning, Lucic was still in disbelief that he was penalized so harshly.

“I didn’t cross any line,” Lucic said, per Rich Hammond of the O.C. Register. “Believe me, if my intentions were to hurt him, I would have hurt him.”

While Lucic knew he deserved a penalty, he said after the game that he didn’t “know why it was called a match penalty.” His coach, Darryl Sutter, agreed, calling it “a borderline even roughing penalty.”

And though former NHL referee Kerry Fraser believes a match penalty was indeed warranted, Lucic said this morning that he hasn’t heard from the NHL about any possible supplemental discipline.

Nor for that matter has Dustin Brown, after his high hit on Couture in the first period.

In conclusion, it’s good to have hockey back.

Related: Sutter says Kings weren’t ‘interested’ in checking the Sharks