Nathan Horton

Bruins get good news regarding Horton, McQuaid’s concussions

The Boston Bruins didn’t have Nathan Horton or Adam McQuaid in the playoffs because they were both dealing with concussions. However, months after the Bruins were eliminated, the news regarding both of them is good.

McQuaid missed significantly less time than Horton and hasn’t experienced concussion symptoms in weeks.

“I’m told by our doctors that McQuaid was in [Boston] last week and he was cleared,” said Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.

On the other hand, Horton hasn’t played since Jan. 22 and there’s been some bumps in his road to recovery. Still, he seems to be making progress.

“[Horton] was in last week as well and is close to being cleared. He’s starting some exertion exercises,” said Chiarelli. “But he looked great and there ‘should be no problems’ [being ready for next season].”

Getting both players back would be a big relief for the Bruins. The absence of Horton in particular was felt as the Bruins struggled to overcome Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby in the first round.

“[Horton’s injury] was big. We’re a deep team, but we’re also a very balanced team. If you lose one thing from our team then it throws everything else off. That’s what happened to a certain degree,” said Chiarelli. “You missed his size, you missed his skating and you missed his shot. [Horton’s absence] takes away from that top line to throw them off-balance and one of our strengths from last year – the third line – they were thrown off-kilter as well.”


Bruins might be in line for a quiet summer

Derek Roy continues his career in Switzerland

Alex Tanguay, Derek Roy
Leave a comment

Derek Roy will continue his pro career overseas, as he has signed a contract with Bern in the Swiss League.

Roy attended training camp on a professional tryout with the Washington Capitals, but he was unable to claim a spot on their roster.

The 32-year-old had some great years in the NHL, but since the 2011-12 season Roy had suited up for six different teams (excluding his PTO with the Caps).

His best season came in 2007-08 when he scored 32 goals and 81 points in 78 games with the Buffalo Sabres.

Roy will leave the NHL with 189 goals and 524 points in 738 career games.

He will join former NHLers Cory Conacher, Andrew Ebbett, Chuck Kobasew, Simon Moser and Sean Bergenheim in Bern.


Sabres place Lehner on IR; Recall Lieuwen

Connor Brown, Robin Lehner
Leave a comment

They’re just one game into their regular season, but the Buffalo Sabres have already had to shift things around in their crease.

The Sabres announced that they have placed starting goaltender Robin Lehner on injured reserve after he was knocked out of Thursday’s game with a lower-body injury.

In a corresponding move, the club has recalled Nathan Lieuwen from their AHL affiliate in Rochester.

The 24-year-old didn’t play in the NHL last season, but he did have a 1-4-0 record with a 2.98 goals-against-average and a .906 save percentage in seven games during the 2013-14 season.

Lieuwen was Buffalo’s sixth round pick, 167th overall, in the 2011 draft.

The Sabres also announced that they have loaned defenseman Jake McCabe and goaltender Linus Ullmark to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

McCabe was a healthy scratch in Thursday’s game against Ottawa, while Ullmark is being activated off I.R. after having double hip surgery during the off-season.