One thing lacking from Game 1 was any kind of nastiness from either the Kings or the Devils. While we remember the Bruins and Canucks instantly getting under each other’s skin last season in the finals, that hasn’t happened yet this year.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer feels just fine about the series, so far, lacking any kind of heat as he told reporters this morning.
“I would doubt you’re going to see any fighting,” DeBoer said. “I think both teams’ discipline is at a premium. We’re both good five-on-five teams. I don’t think either of us wants to get into a specialty team game. You’re not going to see any of that stuff.”
“But that doesn’t mean it’s not a war at ice level for ice and puck battles and space.”
The teams weren’t lacking in physicality as there more than 70 hits doled out in Game 1 with the Devils in particular stepping up their game later on. With more hits comes upset feelings. There might not be any rough stuff at the moment, but it’s coming.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.