Alexander Semin

Semin headed for free agency


Alex Semin will wait until at least July 1 when he becomes an unrestricted free agent before he signs a contract, he said Thursday during a press conference in Russia.

Following is a translation courtesy blog Russian Machine Never Breaks (via

Question: “Is there any clarity on where your career will resume in the next season?”

Semin: “I can’t say anything concrete at this time. I’m waiting for July 1st, until the negotiations in the NHL open, for now I am unemployed.”

Question: “Are your priorities in Russia or North America?”

Semin: “I can’t answer. I don’t know.”

The talented 28-year-old sniper with the propensity for needless penalties could still end up back in Washington, but the fact he’s opting to become an unrestricted free agent doesn’t signal an enormous desire to remain with the Capitals.

That said, if Washington hires a head coach with an attacking philosophy before July 1, maybe Semin could be tempted to return. On the other hand, if it’s a coach that wants the Caps to play Dale Hunter hockey, he’ll be gone.

Related: Semin’s agent clarifies statements, Washington return still sounds unlikely

Sharks send three to AHL; still waiting on Torres suspension

Nikolay Goldobin, Brent Burns
Leave a comment

The San Jose Sharks have assigned forwards Nikolay Goldobin and Melker Karlsson and defenseman Mirco Mueller to AHL San Jose.

Goldobin and Mueller are both first-round picks — the former in 2014, the latter in 2013.

Goldobin had one goal and two assists in five preseason games. It’s possible he could be called back up when the NHL suspends Raffi Torres.

Torres remains part of the 23-man roster (see below) but is facing a lengthy ban for his hit on Anaheim’s Jakub Silfverberg. Torres has a hearing today.

Rookie defenseman Dylan DeMelo is also on the roster. The 22-year-old had one goal and two assists in four preseason games.

Sharks roster

Glencross released from another PTO, this time by Avs

Washington Capitals v Ottawa Senators
1 Comment

Curtis Glencross’ hard-luck preseason continued on Monday, as the Avalanche announced they released him from his training camp tryout.

Glencross had previously been cut from Toronto’s camp, which he described as “kind of a shock” move. Following that release, the 32-year-old quickly shifted to Colorado but arrived fairly late in the overall process, and only got a bit of exposure before being let go.

While some thought yesterday’s trade of Freddie Hamilton to Calgary may have opened up a spot for Glencross, the Avs now appear to be going in a different direction.

A two-time 20-goal scorer that netted 13 in 71 games last year, it’s unclear what lies ahead for Glencross.