GLENDALE, AZ - APRIL 27: Shane Doan #19 of the Phoenix Coyotes warms up before Game One of the Western Conference Semifinals against the Nashville Predators during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Arena on April 27, 2012 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Doan clarifies handshake line: “I didn’t swear at [Brown]”


A few days have passed, but it’s still tough to shake the image of Shane Doan yelling at Dustin Brown during what seemed like a not-so-sportsmanlike handshake line. There might have been microphones on everyone involved, yet we’ll likely never know what was said anyway.

The Arizona Republic caught up with Doan, who didn’t provide a transcript but did shine a little more light on the situation.

“I didn’t swear at him. I didn’t say anything rude or disrespectful,” Doan said of his postgame dust-up with Kings’ captain Dustin Brown. “I just wasn’t as cordial as I should’ve been.”

Still, Doan explained that the interchange wasn’t quite as bad as it appeared on screen.

“Brownie wanted to explain himself, and at the moment, I wasn’t ready to hear it,” Doan said. “I said, ‘Not right now. Are you kidding me? Not right now.’ That was my expression. That’s all I’m saying.

“But at the same time, everyone who has ever played in a playoff game has done the handshake line. Am I arrogant enough to think I’m the only player who felt bad? No. And in that situation, I have to be in better control of my emotions.”

Generally, the Coyotes backed down from much of their angry remarks shortly following that loss, as GM Don Maloney probably said it best when he advised people to take what was said with “a grain of salt.”

Regardless, many of us would love to hear what was actually uttered, though.

(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit
Leave a comment

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. For one thing, Torres is a repeat offender who once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.

Flames acquire Freddie Hamilton, brother of Dougie

Freddie Hamilton
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Roughly three months after acquiring Dougie Hamilton, the Calgary Flames have brought his brother on board too.

Freddie Hamilton was pried away from the Colorado Avalanche for the cost a 2016 conditional seventh-round draft pick, per the Avalanche’s website. The Flames announced that he will report to AHL Stockton.

Freddie, who is the older of the two at 23, is a center that excelled offensively in the OHL and has chipped in at the AHL level. However, he has just one point in 29 contests with Colorado and the San Jose Sharks.

This is obviously not a big trade, but perhaps Freddie will eventually become a solid member of the Flames’ supporting cast. If nothing else, it didn’t cost Calgary much to reunite the brothers. The duo previously played together with the Niagara IceDogs.