LA Kings Third Line

Redemption for L.A.’s third line, once called “the worst” in hockey


Interesting anecdote here from Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail:

In March, just as the Los Angeles Kings were about to mount the 11th-hour surge that got them into the playoffs, a veteran NHL scout sitting beside me in a press box predicted – apropos of nothing – that they had little chance in the postseason because of one key, but easy-to-overlook factor.

“They have the worst third line in hockey,” he said.

At the time, the line consisted of Dustin Penner, Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis.

And it makes sense why the scout said what he did. Stoll was an offensive enigma that struggled to his poorest output since his rookie year in 2003-04.

Lewis is a hard worker and bonafide grinder, but thought to be best suited to a fourth-line role.

Penner’s season was noteworthy because he injured himself eating pancakes and saw his divorce go viral (thanks, TMZ!) — he also earned the unique distinction of landing in two separate doghouses: Terry Murray’s and Darryl Sutter’s.

But that was in March. It’s now May, and what a difference a couple of months makes.

Penner has been moved off the line in place of Dwight King, the playoff scoring sensation tied for second on the team in goals (five). Stoll’s scoring hasn’t gone through the roof, but the timing of said scoring has been key — both his postseason goals were game-winners, including the series-clinching OT tally against Vancouver in Round 1.

And Lewis? He’s been a very pleasant surprise, registering six points in 13 games — a pretty wild development when you consider he had seven points in 72 regular season contests.

The highest praise for L.A.’s third line, though, comes from Coyotes captain Shane Doan.

“That King/Stoll/Lewis line has arguably been the best line of the series,” Doan told The Globe. “The level is so intense. There’s so little room, you have to have other guys step up. We need other guys to step up.

“Obviously, it would be big to get some scoring from everybody.”

No kidding. Just ask the Kings.

Sharks send three to AHL; still waiting on Torres suspension

Nikolay Goldobin, Brent Burns
Leave a comment

The San Jose Sharks have assigned forwards Nikolay Goldobin and Melker Karlsson and defenseman Mirco Mueller to AHL San Jose.

Goldobin and Mueller are both first-round picks — the former in 2014, the latter in 2013.

Goldobin had one goal and two assists in five preseason games. It’s possible he could be called back up when the NHL suspends Raffi Torres.

Torres remains part of the 23-man roster (see below) but is facing a lengthy ban for his hit on Anaheim’s Jakub Silfverberg. Torres has a hearing today.

Rookie defenseman Dylan DeMelo is also on the roster. The 22-year-old had one goal and two assists in four preseason games.

Sharks roster

Glencross released from another PTO, this time by Avs

Washington Capitals v Ottawa Senators
1 Comment

Curtis Glencross’ hard-luck preseason continued on Monday, as the Avalanche announced they released him from his training camp tryout.

Glencross had previously been cut from Toronto’s camp, which he described as “kind of a shock” move. Following that release, the 32-year-old quickly shifted to Colorado but arrived fairly late in the overall process, and only got a bit of exposure before being let go.

While some thought yesterday’s trade of Freddie Hamilton to Calgary may have opened up a spot for Glencross, the Avs now appear to be going in a different direction.

A two-time 20-goal scorer that netted 13 in 71 games last year, it’s unclear what lies ahead for Glencross.