Agent says Semin, Capitals will part ways: “Alex doesn’t fit into that system, obviously”

33 Comments

After seven season together, Alex Semin and the Washington Capitals will part ways.

That’s the word from ESPN’s Craig Custance in speaking with Semin’s agent, Mark Gandler, who says the 28-year-old Russian won’t re-up with the Caps and will become a UFA on July 1.

“It was good while it lasted,” Gandler said. “With the lack of playoff success, with the direction they are going. They decided to change directions. That’s within their rights. Alex doesn’t fit into that system, obviously.

“It just doesn’t make any sense to him. He plays, he did the best he could under the circumstances and he earned his right to be a free agent.”

Some quick thoughts:

— Gandler said this wasn’t about the coaching staff, but rather how the organization viewed Semin.

“They told us Alex is not going to play short-handed, he’s not going to play in the last minute,” Gandler explained. “He’s going to get the same icetime as everybody else…Alex is not ready to be a role player.”

Makes you wonder what the Caps were doing with Semin. (Like, why keep signing him to big-money, one-year deals?) He’s one of 16 players to score 40-plus goals over the last three years. Headcase or no, the guy has elite-level scoring ability.

— I don’t know why Semin wants to kill penalties. Maybe it’s to make amends for all the times he’s put his team shorthanded.

— As mentioned yesterday, the KHL has announced “returning Russian players” won’t count against the upcoming salary cap. Technically speaking, Semin’s never played in the KHL — when he was last overseas, it was still the Russian Superleague — but his old team, Moscow Oblast, has a few ex-NHLers: Alex Kovalev, Nikolai Zherdev and Ivan Vishnevskiy.

— An offensively challenged NHL team with cap space could make a play for Semin. Colorado finished 25th in goals per game last year and has over $14 million available…it’s also home to ex-Capitals goalie (and fellow Russian) Semyon Varlamov.

— Florida’s another team (2.40 goals per game, 27th) that could use some offense, and we all know how aggressive GM Dale Tallon has been in free agency.

— Carolina’s been looking for a top-line winger to play with Eric Staal, and has been very vocal about loosening the purse strings this summer.

What is wrong with the Sharks?

Getty
Leave a comment

Not that long ago, the San Jose Sharks appeared well on their way to winning the Pacific Division title.

On March 14, they had a seven-point lead on both Anaheim and Calgary. Gone is that advantage. Not only have the Ducks surged back into the fight for the division, but the Sharks have lost five in a row and are having a terrible time of late creating any offense.

Their struggles hit a new low Friday with a 6-1 loss to the Dallas Stars, a team with its own flaws and nowhere close to a playoff position.

At one point midway through the second period, the Sharks trailed the Stars by four goals and had only six lousy shots on goal. During this skid, San Jose has scored only five goals.

Earlier this week, members of the Sharks said they weren’t terribly worried about this losing streak. The losses, they had said, were in close games, which is true: San Jose lost three consecutive one-goal games.

“When I look at the losing streak, we dominated some of those games for long periods and found ways to lose. You never like to lose, but I’m not that concerned,” Sharks coach Pete DeBoer told CSN Bay Area. “We’ve got to obviously end it. We’ve got to get healthy. I don’t see a bunch of symptoms of a team that can’t get this fixed pretty quickly.”

This, however, was a blowout. Adam Cracknell recorded the hat trick, pushing his single-season career-high in goals to 10.

The performance at one point forced DeBoer to take a timeout, in which he expressed his displeasure.

Making matters worse for the Sharks: Defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic left the game early in the third period and was put under further evaluation. He didn’t return.

The Sharks visit the Nashville Predators on Saturday.

Halak and the Islanders defeat Penguins, move into wild card spot

Getty
1 Comment

Quite a hockey game between the New York Islanders and Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday.

It offered plenty to enjoy — Phil Kessel‘s dominant but unfruitful shift in overtime, a combined 86 shots on goal between both teams, a showcase of skill from the likes of John Tavares and Sidney Crosby, and two strong goaltending performances from Jaroslav Halak and Marc-Andre Fleury.

Josh Ho-Sang, who wears No. 66, which is just fine in the eyes of Mario Lemieux, set up Brock Nelson‘s goal in the second period.

The Islanders and their fans probably aren’t hung up on style points at this juncture of the season. They just care about wins and points in the standings, and those are exactly what New York accomplished with a 4-3 shootout win in Pittsburgh.

Anthony Beauvillier and Tavares scored for the Islanders in the shootout. Halak made 37 stops, including a game-saver in overtime off Matt Cullen. Halak trapped the puck, which was right on the goal line, between his legs on a chance from in front. The play was reviewed but no goal.

The win gives the Islanders 82 points, which is the same total as the struggling Boston Bruins.

However, the Islanders, with one game in hand on the Bruins, take over the final wild card spot in the East for now.

Video: Friday night fights between Bolts and Red Wings

1 Comment

Not much offense — actually, just one goal midway through the second period as of the writing of this post — between the Detroit Red Wings and Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday.

But there has definitely been some animosity between the two clubs.

Tempers flared late in the first period, with Adam Erne and Andreas Athanasiou getting involved in a spirited scrap — and Athanasiou unsuccessful in his attempt at the take-down.

The bad blood continued in the second period with Greg McKegg and Anthony Mantha getting involved in a fight, and Mantha — given the instigator — landing a couple of shots with McKegg on the ice.

 

NHL, MLB player unions support U.S. women hockey players’ boycott

Getty
1 Comment

Unions representing NHL and Major League Baseball players are backing U.S. Women’s National Hockey team players’ decision to boycott next week’s world championships because of a wage dispute.

The NHL Players’ Association posted a note on its Twitter account on Friday saying it supports the U.S. players while panning USA Hockey’s bid to stock the team with replacements. The NHLPA says the decision to go with replacement players “would only serve to make relations, now and in the future, much worse.”

Earlier in the day, the MLB Players Association encouraged all women hockey players to stand united behind their national team colleagues.

Read more: USA Hockey says it will not offer living wage, as dispute with women’s national team continues

The Twitter messages were posted a day after USA Hockey announced it would begin gauging interest of replacement players to compete at the tournament, which opens next Friday in Plymouth, Michigan.

Players are seeking a four-year contract that includes payments outside the six-month Olympic period.