After orchestrating a solid in-season turnaround and compiling a 27-23-8 record overall, Anaheim Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau has been rewarded with a two-year extension.
“Since joining the organization last November, Bruce has done an outstanding job with the team,” said Ducks General Manager Bob Murray. “He’s committed to us and determined to lead us back to the playoffs.”
Boudreau likely won his extension with the job he did in 2012. After Jan. 1, Anaheim went 24-15-6 — the fifth best record in the Western Conference — and made a spirited push for the playoffs.
“I’m really happy about this,” said Boudreau. “I’m convinced we have a great core of players and a bright future, and I’m excited to be part of it.”
Murray said repeatedly last season the club wasn’t interested in a rebuild and that the slow start under ex-head coach Randy Carlyle was an anomaly, not a sign of a fractured team.
He then backed that up with a three-year extension for defenseman Francois Beauchemin — believed to be a highly-coveted asset at the deadline — and sticking with forward Bobby Ryan after a flurry of trade speculation.
The Boudreau extension, combined with yesterday’s one-year contract extension to Saku Koivu, are two more signs the Ducks like their current group.
Considering all of the controversy surrounding the 41-game suspension for Raffi Torres, some might have lost track of the guy who received that hit: Jakob Silfverberg.
The good news is that, at the moment, it seems like he’s OK.
The Anaheim Ducks announced that he skated on his own and will be involved in the team’s next practice:
That falls in line with some of the fall-out from the hit, as head coach Bruce Boudreau let out a relieved “thank goodness” at the young forward seemingly dodging a bullet.
Here’s video of the hit and the suspension decision:
Silfverberg, 24, enjoyed a nice breakout in 2014-15, especially during the playoffs.
Keep in mind that injuries can sometimes crop up later than expected, especially potential head injuries/concussions. Still, it seems like the initial reaction is that the damage was minimal.
From the Southampton Press:
Sean Avery, the former National Hockey League player, was arrested by Southampton Village Police last week on two criminal charges.
According to authorities, Mr. Avery was arrested September 30 following a routine traffic stop on Jennings Avenue in the village at about 4:09 p.m. He was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief and two counts of seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, all misdemeanors.
Police said the criminal mischief charge involved an incident the day before, when Mr. Avery allegedly threw objects at passing vehicles.
As for those counts of possession, according to the newspaper, Avery was found to have “two prescription drugs, acetaminophen with oxycodone and roxicodone.”
He was released on $500 bail and ordered to appear in court at a later date.
Did we mention he’s supposed to get married this weekend?