Joel Ward hasn’t done much for the Washington Capitals since they paid him handsomely in hopes that he would replicate his 2011 playoff glories. Who knows how often he’ll justify his existence going forward, but GM George McPhee probably feels better about the investment after Ward won Game 7 in overtime with a 2-1 goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Capitals upset the defending champion Boston Bruins 4-3 in one of the closest series ever.
- Tim Thomas said this to Braden Holtby: “Great job, kid.” Are we watching a star in the making?
- Alex Ovechkin played just 16:25 of ice time. Can the Capitals go deep with their captain sitting on the bench more than he ever has in his career?
- More on that thought: is Dale Hunter crazy or crazy like a fox for the way he’s handling Ovechkin?
- Bruins fans chime in: how disappointing is this outcome after the Cup run and a dominant early season stretch? What needs to be tweaked?
- As the seventh seed, the Capitals will start the next round on the road. Their exact opponent hasn’t been determined yet, however, so let me ask: who would be the best and worst matchups for Washington in the semifinals?