galiardi mcdonald

Andy McDonald doesn’t think suspensions have been a deterrent

1 Comment

Andy McDonald sustained two concussions within the span of 11 months, so he has something of a unique perspective on the topic of head hits.

Despite the league’s efforts to crack down on blows to the head, McDonald isn’t sure if much progress has been made yet.

“I just think you watch a game, and is it really better than it was a year or two years ago?” McDonald asked. “Is there less head shots? Certainly the playoffs this year has been a revelation that not much has changed. Guys are still targeting the head and really putting other players in danger and at risk for serious injury. And that’s frustrating for a player that’s gone through a significant amount of time with that type of injury.”

Before you think McDonald is speaking in reaction to Raffi Torres’ hit on Marian Hossa, keep in mind that these quotes were actually given to ESPN roughly two hours before Hossa was taken off the ice in a stretcher.

“On the suspension part of it, there’s really not a deterrent,” said McDonald. “If guys were suspended for 20 games, then I think things would change.”

That kind of punishment would certainly send shockwaves through the league. That being said, McDonald does think the league is “trying to get it right.” McDonald also believes that his fellow players need to step up and take some responsibility as well.

“It’s obvious that there’s not a lot of respect out there, and you see it every night on replays. Guys are certainly not respecting each other on the ice,” he said.

Meanwhile Marian Hossa and Daniel Alfredsson are out for Game 4 of their respective series.

Isles claim goalie Berube off waivers

Evgeny Kuznetsov, Jaroslav Halak
Leave a comment

The New York Islanders have claimed goalie Jean-Francois Berube off waivers from the Los Angeles Kings, the club announced today.

Berube won the Calder Cup last season with AHL Manchester, but the 24-year-old has yet to appear in an NHL game.

That the Isles claimed Berube could be evidence that Jaroslav Halak will not be ready to start the season after all.

If that’s the case, Berube would back up Thomas Greiss, with Stephon Williams expected to go to the AHL.

The Isles open their regular season Friday at home versus the Blackhawks, then play the next day in Chicago.

Leafs claim Corrado from Canucks, waive Panik

Frank Corrado
1 Comment

The Toronto Maple Leafs have claimed one of the more intriguing players placed on waivers — former Vancouver defenseman Frank Corrado.

Corrado, 22, was waived by the Canucks on Monday. The former OHL standout had appeared in 28 career games for Vancouver — including 10 last year — but was squeezed out of an NHL spot following the emergence of Ben Hutton, who surprised many onlookers by making the 23-man roster.

Canucks GM Jim Benning will receive criticism for losing an asset like Corrado for nothing. Several Vancouver pundits warned of exposing a young, promising d-man to waivers and those warnings ultimately proved accurate.

With Toronto, Corrado could push for playing time as the club indicated on Monday veteran d-man Sephane Robidas wouldn’t be with the team to start the year. That would leave the the Leafs with seven healthy blueliners: Dion Phaneuf, Jake Gardiner, Roman Polak, Morgan Rielly, Matt Hunwick, Martin Marincin and Scott Harrington, who can go to the minors without having to clear waivers.

Petter Granberg, another defenseman, is currently on IR.

In a corresponding move to the Corrado claim, the Leafs put forward Richard Panik on waivers. Panik, who Toronto plucked off waivers from Tampa Bay last year, appeared in 76 games for the Leafs, scoring 11 goals and 17 points.