Just over a year ago, Evgeni Nabokov refused to report to the New York Islanders. Today we learn from Newsday’s Arthur Staples that the veteran goalie has signed a one-year extension to stay with the team.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports Nabokov’s deal is for $2.75 million and does not include a no-movement clause.
“I’m thrilled to commit to this team for next season,” Nabokov said in a press release. “We have a great group in the locker room of young, talented players and we’re heading in the right direction. I’m excited to have the chance to help get this team back to the playoffs.”
Nabokov, 36, is 17-18-3 with a 2.56 goals-against average and .912 save percentage.
What this means for the other Isles goalies is unclear. Al Montoya can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Rick DiPietro (definitely not a pending UFA) is out for the season after having sports-hernia surgery. They’ve also got Kevin Poulin and Anders Nilsson waiting in the wings.
That Nabokov chose to re-up might surprise some. He’s never won a Stanley Cup and probably won’t next season if he stays with the Isles past the trade deadline. On the other hand, is there anywhere he could start with a chance to win the Cup? The Blackhawks might be interested in a veteran backup as an insurance policy for Corey Crawford, but they’re going to give Crawford every opportunity to start. Tampa Bay will likely go after a young goalie this summer. Otherwise the contenders are all set between the pipes.
Plus Nabokov seems to be happy on Long Island, and we hear happiness is important in life.
Hockey players are known for their toughness, but Daniel Winnik is taking it to a whole new level.
The damage was done after Winnik blocked a shot against the Florida Panthers on Thursday night.
After the game, Caps head coach Barry Trotz said his forward had lost a piece of his ear, but it sounds like that wasn’t totally accurate.
“I wouldn’t say I lost a piece of it,” said Winnik, per the Washington Post. “I mean, it’s really chewed up, and obviously some scabs and all of that, but no visible missing piece…The puck hit basically half ear, maybe a little more ear than helmet. Very fortunate it wasn’t way worse.”
He didn’t need any stitches, but they did have to use some glue to patch him up.
To watch how his ear got “chewed up,” click here.
It doesn’t sound like the injury did enough to scare Winnik into putting on a visor or an earpiece.
“I mean, my face has been banged up a lot over the years, and I still haven’t worn a visor. I mean I’ve probably broken my nose like 15 times or something. I just can’t wear it, and the earpieces, I think you’re just used to wearing it for so long without it. I mean you take them out you’re like, ‘Why the hell was I wearing earpieces in the first place?’ But I guess this is kind of an indication on why guys do.”
Here’s a story you don’t see everyday.
Nashville Predators GM David Poile might have to scramble to put a roster together for tonight’s game against Pittsburgh because a few of his players are dealing with food poisoning.
During yesterday’s game against the Red Wings, both Ryan Johansen and Craig Smith were forced to exit early because of illness.
Now we know that the illnesses were caused by something the players ate (Poile believes it was chicken soup that caused this).
We still don’t know exactly how many players have been affected by this.
Playing two games in two nights is hard enough, but it sounds like it’ll be even tougher for the Preds tonight.
James Neal, Roman Josi and P.K. Subban are all fine, according to Brooks Bratten.
More details to come.
Well, this isn’t the start to the season Ryan Pulock was hoping for.
After playing six games with the Islanders during last year’s playoffs, many expected Pulock to make the team out of training, but that didn’t happen.
He didn’t spend much time in the minors (two games) because of the injury to Nick Leddy.
Pulock made his season debut in last night’s game against Arizona. Unfortunately for him, he suffered a lower-body injury after playing just 3:57.
On Saturday, the team announced that Pulock will be out anywhere between 4-to-6 weeks.
If Leddy can’t play on Sunday, the Islanders will have to recall another defenseman from the minors. Because they’re carrying three goalies, they only have room for six blue liners.
The Boston Bruins recalled goalie Zane McIntyre on an emergency basis on Saturday morning.
The call up was necessary because it doesn’t look like starter Tuukka Rask will be able to suit up against the Montreal Canadiens tonight.
Rask missed Friday’s practice with what head coach Claude Julien described as “general body soreness,” but it might be a little more serious than that if he’s forced to miss multiple games.
According to Julien, Rask is feeling better, but the prefer giving him the night off.
The Bruins selected McIntyre in the sixth-round of the 2010 Entry Draft.
He’s never suited up in an NHL game before.
The 24-year-old turned pro last year, after spending three years at the University of North Dakota.
He had a 14-8-7 record with a 2.68 goals-against-average and a .898 save percentage with Providence in 2015-16. This season, he has a 0.44 goals-against and a .977 save percentage in three games.
It’s interesting to note that the Bruins preferred McIntyre to former first rounder Malcolm Subban.
Subban has an 0-3 record in the AHL this year and he’s been pulled in two of his three outings.