Chicago’s “toughen up” strategy hasn’t gone exactly to plan

1 Comment

Remember what the Blackhawks did last summer?

If you don’t, a quick refresher from the team website (Date: July 1, 2011):

Make no mistake about it, the 2011-12 version of the Chicago Blackhawks will not be pushed around by anybody.

In fact, after what Chicago General Manager Stan Bowman and his front office did on Friday – the League’s opening day of free agency – it might be the Hawks instigating the rough stuff every so often next season.

Chicago capped off an infusion of toughness on Friday by reaching agreements with five gritty, experienced role players – all signed to cost-efficient one-year deals – including forwards Andrew Brunette, Jamal Mayers and Dan Carcillo.

The Hawks also added sturdy 39-year old defenseman Sean O’Donnell and forward Brett McLean – who’s played the past two seasons in the Swiss League – during a busy day for Bowman and his front-office staff.

“I think we had a very successful day,” Bowman said during a teleconference on Friday evening. “I’m very pleased with how it all played out. This was our objective, to find some players that play a certain style and bring some experience. It’s a nice mixture.”

Now, fast-forward to today: Carcillo’s out for the year, McLean’s in the AHL, O’Donnell’s a healthy scratch while Brunette and Mayers have been bit players at best.

This got Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times thinking — what happened to the “tough” plan?

The ‘‘tough” plan blew up because of injuries and poor play. Instead, it looks like the Hawks are in the midst of partial rebuilding process where rookies get to prove themselves and learn on the job.

The Hawks have turned to their youth because the organization’s faith in their ‘‘tough” plan faded. In fact, it’s debatable if it ever really worked. With 14 games left, the Hawks find themselves with a ton of concerns, especially on special teams. Only Mayers has lived up to the billing the Hawks gave him.

As a result, the ‘Hawks have turned to Andrew Shaw (20 years old), Jimmy Hayes (22) and recently-promoted Brandon Bollig (25) to fill the physical void.

Problem is, it’s not working.

“It’s clear teams won’t stop taking runs at the Hawks,” Jahns wrote. “Opponents, notably the Blues and Red Wings, have even targeted the rookies.”

The ‘Hawks currently sit sixth in the West and on talent alone should make the playoffs — but when they get there, it could be trouble. Chicago spent last offseason bemoaning how it was “out-physical-ed” by Vancouver in last year’s postseason and given potential matchups looming against St. Louis, Nashville and Dallas, it could be another rough-and-tumble opening round.

(Photo courtesy Chicago UPI)

Teuvo time: Teravainen to open with Toews, Hossa

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six
Leave a comment

Teuvo Teravainen has played both center and right wing over the course of his brief NHL career.

Now, he’s got a new position — left wing — and a pair of shiny new linemates to boot.

Teravainen will open the year playing alongside captain Jonathan Toews and right wing Marian Hossa, per the Sun-Times.

The move could be a boon for the young Finn. Several ex-Chicago wingers thrived playing alongside Toews and Hossa, most notably Brandon Saad and Patrick Sharp.

It’ll be interesting to see what kind of production Teravainen, who just turned 21 last month, can manufacture on Chicago’s top line. His numbers from last year weren’t spectacular (nine points in 34 games), but he did a solid job of racking up points en route to the Stanley Cup, with 10 in 18 games.

It’ll also be interesting to see how long he sticks with Toews and Hossa.

Head coach Joel Quenneville has been known as a frequent user of the line blender, often switching up his combos at at moment’s notice.

That said, Quenneville is hoping to find some stability with this new-look group.

“[Teuvo will] play there to start the season,” he said. “Hopefully, all year.”

‘Great story’ Janmark surprises, makes Dallas roster

Brian Elliott, Mattias Janmark-Nylen
Leave a comment

Pretty cool story out of Texas, where Mattias Janmark, the 22-year-old rookie that’s played a grand total of nine games in North America, has defied the odds to make the Stars’ opening-night roster.

“It’s a great story,” Dallas GM Jim Nill said, per the Morning News. “We really only planned to have him here for maybe two preseason games and then send him back. But he just kept being one of the best players out there, and he changed our minds.

“It’s a great example of what you can do if you just play hard.”

Nill acquired Janmark, 22, from Detroit at last year’s deadline as part of the Erik Cole trade. Nill was familiar with the Swedish forward from his time with the Wings — he was part of the front office team that drafted Janmark in ’13 — but didn’t think the deal would pay such immediate dividends.

As for Janmark, he didn’t even think he’d be in North America this year.

He has a contract with SHL club Frolunda, where he scored 36 points in 55 games last year. Given he’s barely played in the AHL — a few games with Grand Rapids, a few with Texas — Janmark figured he’d be back in Europe this season.

His strong play in the exhibition season changed all that. Janmark beat out two of Dallas’ touted prospects — former AHL rookie of the year Curtis McKenzie, and ’12 first-rounder Radek Faksa — for a roster spot, and showed good chemistry with third-line center Cody Eakin.

Janmark also performed well on a line with Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky.