The Toronto radio host who broke the news about Sidney Crosby’s neck injury is standing by his story that the Penguins’ captain had an abnormality in his C1 and C2 vertebrae. Pittsburgh has since said Crosby suffered “a soft-tissue injury of the neck” with “no evidence of a past or present neck fracture.”
“I never reported it as a fracture to the C1 and C2,” Bob McCown told The Globe and Mail today. “I deliberately said it was an injury to the C1 and C2. But [Crosby’s agent] Pat Brisson confirmed it as a fracture. So did Alex Guerrero and Dr. [Robert] Bray who both saw the fractures in the MRIs.
“Just because the Penguins now say there was no fracture, why should we believe them? Why are they the most credible source? They’ve had this file in front of them for months, and the story keeps changing. Are they saying Guerrero and Dr. Bray, who’ve worked with many top athletes and teams in the past, aren’t accurate?
“Look, I’d be okay if someone could prove it one way or the other. But this idea that the Penguins and their doctors are the final word on this doesn’t stand up after all that’s happened in the past on this file.”
Yesterday Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero wouldn’t say whether or not Bray officially diagnosed Crosby with a neck fracture, only that there was something Bray saw in examining Crosby that he wanted to get a second opinion on. The Penguins subsequently consulted with Dr. Alexander Vaccaro in Philadelphia, after which, Shero says, all the doctors had a conference call and concluded there was no evidence of a neck fracture.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.