Blues’ McDonald (concussion) doffs non-contact jersey, practices with team

2 Comments

Fresh off the All-Star break, the St. Louis Blues received some positive news today as assistant captain Andy McDonald participated in practice — with contact — for the first time since suffering a concussion back in October.

“This is just kind of the next step,” McDonald told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.  “To be able to get out there and take some contact in practice and see where I fit in that regard and see how the body reacts from getting bumped around. It’s nice to be able to compete for real and get some contact out there.”

McDonald was placed on injured reserve after being checked into the boards by Dallas’ Vernon Fiddler on Oct. 13. The concussion suffered was his second in less than 12 months (the first one forced him to miss 24 games the season prior) — as a result, he and the Blues have taken a cautious approach to recovery.

McDonald stated here’s no real set plan or timetable to get him back into the lineup.

“It’s just kind of wait and see,” he said. “I’ve been real close for a long time and like I’ve said before, in the past, I want to be 100 percent. I don’t want to go out there and hold back and feel like there’s something still going on. I want to be able to go out and play my game and not have any worries out there.

“From some standpoints, I feel like I’m ready to play. But I’ve just got to be patient with it and make sure you’re a 100 percent before you get back out there.”

Getting McDonald back would be a huge boon for St. Louis. Last year, he had great production despite being injured (50 points in 58 games) and is one of the few Blues with bonafide playoff experience. He played in all 21 games in Anaheim’s Stanley Cup run of 2007, leading the team with 10 goals.

Video: After blowout loss in Dallas, struggling Sharks off to slow start vs. Predators

Getty
Leave a comment

Last night, we asked: What is wrong with the San Jose Sharks?

Well, a day later, with the Sharks looking to avoid a sixth straight loss, the struggle continues.

After a blowout loss last night against the Dallas Stars, the Sharks have fallen behind the Nashville Predators by a score of 2-0 after the opening period.

Colton Sissons opened the scoring for Nashville.

It didn’t get any better for the Sharks.

Roman Josi walked right around Brent Burns, hitting the cross bar with his shot. Cody McLeod was right there for the tap-in to increase Nashville’s lead.

Maple Leafs goalie Andersen suffers upper-body injury vs. Sabres

Getty
Leave a comment

Anxious times right now for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Facing the Buffalo Sabres and looking to extend their winning streak, Curtis McElhinney took over in net for Toronto to begin the second period.

Adding to the situation was the fact Frederik Andersen, who started the game, was reportedly not on the bench when the teams came back out following the intermission.

And now we know why. The Leafs have announced Andersen suffered an upper-body injury and will not return.

Andersen faced 16 shots in the opening period, making 14 saves.

The Maple Leafs are third in the Atlantic Division with 85 points.

Video: Ovechkin joins elite company with this goal vs. Coyotes

2 Comments

Barring a miraculous barrage of goals in the final stretch of games, Alex Ovechkin very likely won’t hit the 50-mark this season.

Now 31 years old, there has been talk that this could be the beginning of the decline for Ovechkin.

But on Saturday, he scored the 30th goal of his season, letting that famous Ovechkin shot rip from his favorite spot on the power play.

For Ovechkin, that’s 12 straight seasons with at least 30 goals scored. He has been consistently prolific since joining the league in 2005-06. He’s an elite player, as everyone has known for years, and he once again joined elite company with this latest goal.

Per the Capitals, Ovechkin joins Mike Gartner and Wayne Gretzky — he was good — as the only three players in NHL history to score at least 30 goals in each of their first 12 seasons in the league.

Sharp to undergo hip surgery, expected recovery is 4-5 months

Leave a comment

Patrick Sharp‘s difficult season is now over.

The Dallas Stars announced on Saturday that the 35-year-old forward will undergo hip surgery on Tuesday. The recovery time, according to the club, is between four and five months.

Sharp is in the final year of a five-year contract with a $5.9 million cap hit, per CapFriendly

“We are going to get the surgery done and let him heal. He’s going to train and let’s take a look at him,” said Stars GM Jim Nill, per NHL.com. “We’ve had conversations. If he comes back, he wants it to be Dallas. He thinks he’s a Dallas Star.”

Not only has Sharp dealt with injuries on the ice, but he is dealing with a personal matter off it.

From the Dallas Morning News:

But in battling through two concussions, hip pain, and his dad’s fight with leukemia, Sharp has shown significant fortitude. The Dallas chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association nominated Sharp Saturday as its candidate for the Bill Masterton Trophy, given each season to a player who displays the attributes of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

“It shows what kind of person he is and what kind of hockey player and leader he is,” said Stars captain Jamie Benn. “I think that’s why he’s a winner at every level he’s played at. I think that’s why he’s a great leader for this team and a great guy for a lot of these young guys to look up to.”

Sharp was first sidelined with a concussion in October. He was then placed on injured reserve with another concussion in December.

He has been held to just 48 games, with eight goals — his lowest total since the lockout-shortened season — and 18 points.