Columbus puts Umberger (concussion) on IR

The injury-ravaged Blue Jackets have put another player on the shelf.

This time, it’s left winger R.J. Umberger — the 29-year-old was put on injured reserve today as he continues to suffer from concussion symptoms following a hit taken during last week’s loss to Anaheim. Umberger has missed Columbus’ last three contests, which snapped his franchise-record 288 consecutive games played, and is listed as week-to-week with no timetable set for a return.

Umberger now joins a staggering number of BJs on injured reserve: Jeff Carter, James Wisniewski, Mark Letestu and Radek Martinek. The most distressing development for Columbus might be that three of its key summer acquisitions (Carter, Wisniewski and Martinek) cost the club over $13 million in salary this season…yet have combined to appear in just 66 games.

Leafs prospects Nylander and Kapanen heading to AHL

William Nylander
Leave a comment

The Toronto Maple Leafs trimmed their training camp roster by 16 players on Sunday.

Two of the Leafs’ top prospects, William Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen, are heading to the the Toronto Marlies of the AHL.

For the full list of cuts, click here.

Nylander was Toronto’s first round pick, eighth overall, in 2014.

The 19-year-old scored an impressive 14 goals and 32 points in 37 games with the Marlies in 2014-15.

Kapenen, 19, was acquired from the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Phil Kessel trade.

He had one goal and one assist in a brief four game stint with Pittsburgh’s farm team last season.

The rebuilding Maple Leafs have no issue being patient with their top young prospects. Both players could make their NHL debut at some point this season, but they may have to wait a little while longer before they become regulars at the next level.

The Leafs now have 24 players on their training camp roster. They have until Tuesday to put the finishing touches on their lineup. Toronto needs to cut at least one more player.

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
1 Comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”