PK Subban

Montreal’s Subban denies spitting allegation


Thanks to a video making rounds on the YouTubes, Montreal’s PK Subban has been forced to answer questions about allegedly hocking phlegm at Rangers defense Michael Del Zotto.

The alleged incident occurred during the second period of Montreal’s 4-1 win Sunday night, shortly after Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty scored to make it 2-1. Based on the video, Del Zotto skated by the Habs bench and either 1) moved directly in the path of, or 2) was the intended target of Subban’s magic loogie.

Neither spitter nor spittee had much to say following the game.

“I know him,” Subban told Newsday. “I wasn’t spitting at anybody.”

Brian Wilde of CTV asked Subban about the incident postgame and that Subban was “surprised to be asked about it.”

As for Del Zotto?

“I don’t know what happened,” he told the New York Daily News. “I know [Subban] a little bit, not that we’re best friends or anything.

“I’m not sure if guys can believe it or not, but I know nothing about it.”

This is the third hockey-related spitting incident we’ve seen recently. Sean Avery allegedly spit at his coach in AHL Connecticut (he didn’t), Alex Ovechkin was accused of spitting at Derek Dorsett (Ovi claims he didn’t) and now this Subban-Del Zotto incident (which neither guy thinks was intentional.)

The moral of this story? Hockey players spit more than Johnny Rotten during his Sex Pistols days. With all that saliva flying around, there’s going to be some collateral damage.

Sens demote former first-rounder Puempel

Matt Puempel
Leave a comment

Looks like Matt Puempel won’t be making the leap after all.

Puempel, the subject of Ottawa’s “looking to make the leap” profile during our Team of the Day series, has been sent down to AHL Binghamton one day prior to the Sens’ opener against Buffalo.

Puempel, taken by Ottawa in the first round (24th overall) at the ’11 draft, made his big-league debut last season and looked as though he’d stick around — only to suffer a high ankle sprain after 13 games, and miss the rest of the season.

The 22-year-old came into this year’s camp looking to secure a full-time position at the big league level, but was beaten out by Shane Prince for the final forward spot on the roster.

To be fair, contract status probably played a role. Prince would’ve had to clear waivers to get down to Bingo, whereas Puempel didn’t.

A former 30-goal scorer in the American League, Puempel is expected to get another look with Ottawa this season.

Report: Torres won’t appeal 41-game suspension


Sounds like Raffi Torres is accepting his punishment.

Per Sportsnet, Torres won’t appeal his 41-game suspension for an illegal hit to the head of Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg.

The report comes just days after the NHL’s Department of Player Safety levied one of the longest disciplinary rulings in league history, citing both the severity of the Silfverberg hit and Torres’ lengthy history of suspensions, fines and warnings.

There was some thought, however, that Torres would try to challenge the ruling.


He does have a history of success in that department. In 2012,Torres successfully appealed his suspension for a headshot on Chicago’s Marian Hossa, and had his punishment reduced from 25 games to 21.

Torres also isn’t considered a “repeat offender” under the current collective bargaining agreement, as his last suspension came in 2013.

Of course, part of that clean record is due to the fact he hasn’t played much. Torres has largely been sidelined by injury for the last two seasons, missing all of last year with knee problems.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman delved further into the repeat offender thing in his latest 30 Thoughts column:

If you read the relevant sections of the CBA, the league takes the position that the repeat offender status is only applicable to fines. Repeaters are fined on a per-game basis, non-repeaters on a per-day basis. (The former is more expensive, because there are fewer games than days in an NHL season.) However, if you go to Section 18.2, among the factors taken into account are, “the status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct.”

So, in the NHL’s view, a player’s history is relevant, even if longer than 18 months ago.

Should the report prove accurate and Torres doesn’t appeal, he will be eligible to return to action on Jan. 14, when the Sharks take on the Oilers.