Q&A with Kyle Turris: “I don’t regret a thing that I did”

3 Comments

As part of our efforts to corner the “Kyle Turris trade” Google search market, here’s an interview our very own Matt Reitz did with the Phoenix forward on Wednesday prior to the Coyotes’ game in Anaheim.

It’s interesting that Turris felt he played his best game Saturday against Minnesota, then the very next game (against the Ducks) he was made a healthy scratch.

ProHockeyTalk: How have things been going the first couple of weeks back?

Turris: It’s progressing every day. I came back, it’s taken a couple of games to get my feet under me, my timing back, and my comfort back, and everything.  But I’m starting to feel better every day. The game against Minnesota, I felt the best that I’ve felt so far. I’m just looking to take more steps forward.

PHT: You’ve bounced around lately. Some time on the top line, some time on the fourth line. Where do they have you tonight?

Turris: I don’t even think I’m playing tonight. Like I said, I’m just looking to move forward and that’s about it.

PHT: How much did missing camp hurt you as far as getting in with this team and getting involved?

Turris: [The] physical [part], being in shape, I feel fine. There’s nothing quite like ‘game shape,’ but at the same time I was working out pretty hard and felt like I was physically ready. Just the timing and the comfort level, and getting back into it, always takes some time to readjust and get back into the swing of things.

PHT: Do you expect to get to a certain point where you’d be past that?

Turris: Oh yeah. It’s been two weeks and I missed eight months—well, I didn’t play for eight months. Like I said, the game against Minnesota, I felt the best that I’ve felt so far and just looking to take another step forward and progress to where I know I can be.

PHT: You had high expectations this year and when you came into the league. Have you ever gotten to the point that you wondered where your future was going to be here?

Turris: That’s a question that was answered by what I did. It’s something in the past now. I’m here, so I’m working hard and just looking to move forward.

PHT: Everyone says that you were in great shape when you got here, what’s been the toughest part? Is it the hands that come back last, the chemistry with the guys, the feet?

Turris: Yeah, it’s everything that you just said. Like having your legs, I thought I was in really good physical shape and I think I was, but just that extra little jump to be in ‘game shape’ is something that I think will come back — I felt like I got it back in Minnesota. Your hands, getting your comfort level back with the puck. Your timing, swinging through the neutral zone as opposed to the D having the puck and hitting you. Just a bit of everything coming back. Chemistry with the guys. Playing with [Kyle] Chipchura and [Raffi] Torres most of the games I’ve been back. Those are two guys that I’ve never played with before. But just everything, coming back, it’s all culminated into one, but I’m starting to feel more comfortable in coming back.

PHT: You were talking about the guys, what was it like when you came back? It can be an awkward situation, but it’s also business.

Turris: They’ve been awesome. The guys in the room have been great. They’ve been really welcoming coming back and it was really nice of them. It’s good to be around the guys.

PHT: If you could do it over, would you have done anything different?

Turris: That is a tough question because I don’t regret a thing that I did. There’s obviously things that probably would have been done different. But the point of it wouldn’t have changed. So you can take what you want out of that, but like I said, I don’t regret what I did. Some things might have changed, but what I was trying to get across wouldn’t have changed.

PHT: How badly do you want to get that first goal out of the way?

Turris: Oh, once one comes, they’ll all come!

You can read more more PHT/Turris coverage here and here, if you’re so inclined.

Sharks keep stockpiling European free agents, land Sandberg

Getty
Leave a comment

Doug Wilson is at it again.

On Thursday, the Sharks GM confirmed yesterday’s news — the signing of Czech d-man Radim Simek — and announced that Swedish forward Filip Sandberg had agreed to a two-year deal.

“Filip is a very creative player who sees the ice well and can create offense in limited space,” Wilson said in a release. “He plays a high-pressure, puck-pursuit game and his battle level is something we have been impressed with, especially against older players.

“We are excited for him to join our organization.”

Sandberg, 22, is fresh off a Swedish League title with HV71. The club announced Sandberg would be headed overseas last week, but didn’t divulge what team had signed him.

It wasn’t surprising NHL clubs had interest. Sandberg had a good offensive campaign in Sweden, scoring 25 points in 52 regular season games, then broke out for six goals and 14 points in 16 playoff contests.

Prior to this year, Sandberg twice represented Sweden at the World Juniors, including the 2013 tournament where the country won silver. He finished with two goals in six games playing alongside the likes of Filip Forsberg, Viktor Arvidsson, Elias Lindholm and Victor Rask.

As for Simek, he inked a one-year deal.

“Radim is a quick transition defenseman who drives the play offensively and plays with a physical edge,” said Wilson. “We like his offensive instincts especially on special teams and think his game will translate well in North America.”

Simek just finished representing his native Czech Republic at the World Hockey Championship, where he had two points in eight games.

According to a report from Radio Praha, the Sharks beat out the Rangers to acquire Simek. Passed over in his draft year, the 24-year-old has spent his entire pro career with Liberec Bili Tygri.

As mentioned above, Wilson has done well finding European skaters in their early-to-mid-20s, ones that can contribute right away at the NHL level: Melker Karlsson, Joonas Donskoi and Marcus Sorensen, most specifically.

The hope now is that Simek and Sandberg will continue that trend.

Avs dismiss three from coaching staff, but Bednar remains

Getty
4 Comments

Colorado GM Joe Sakic said there would be turnover this offseason, but that head coach Jared Bednar was safe.

On Tuesday, Sakic followed through.

The Avs have parted ways with two of Bednar’s assistants — Tim Army and Dave Farrish — and also relieved goalie coach Francois Allaire of his duties.

Army, 54, has been with the club for the last six years, having previously served as the head coach at Providence. He served under three different head coaches in Colorado — Bednar, Patrick Roy and Joe Sacco — and was largely tasked with running the team’s power play (which finished 30th in the NHL this year).

Farrish, 60, just wrapped his second year on the job with the Avs after coming over from Toronto. A veteran of nearly 30 years in coaching, Farrish was brought aboard by Roy, and brought “a wealth of experience and hockey knowledge to our organization.” A journeyman blueliner who playecd 430 games at the NHL level, Farrish ran the club’s defense last season.

Allaire, 57, has been coaching goalies at the NHL level for over 25 years, with previous stops in Montreal, Anaheim and Toronto. His ties to Roy ran deep — he mentored the former Avs coach with the Canadiens, and the pair won two Stanley Cups together (in 1986 and ’93). Allaire has been with the Avs for the last four years, on the heels of an acrimonious departure from Toronto.

Today’s shakeup is a significant one, but it didn’t come out of nowhere. Bednar was essentially forced into retaining all of Roy’s staff following the latter’s shock resignation last August, and probably wants to bring in some of his own guys.

Sakic, meanwhile, had to make some sort of changes after the worst regular season in franchise history — and today’s could just be the tip of the iceberg.

Related: Avs president gives Sakic vote of confidence

Same lineup expected for Pens, but Sens will have changes

Getty
5 Comments

Plenty of injuries on both sides ahead of tonight’s Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Final between Pittsburgh and Ottawa.

We’ll start with the Penguins, who seem likely to ice the same lineup they did Sunday. Head coach Mike Sullivan confirmed today that Justin Schultz, Chad Ruhwedel, Patric Hornqvist, and Tom Kuhnhackl remain out.

“Kuhnhackl, Ruhwedel and Hornqvist stayed back in Pittsburgh. They’re rehabbing back there,” said Sullivan. “Schultz is here in Ottawa with us. He is rehabbing as well, but he will not play tonight.”

As for the Senators, head coach Guy Boucher has some “warmup decisions” to make. Forward Ryan Dzingel will be back in. Forwards Chris Kelly and Colin White could be in, too, because Tommy Wingels and Alex Burrows are both out.

The question is whether the Sens go with seven defensemen again, or back to six. If it’s the latter, White could draw in.

White, 20, has not played in these playoffs, and he only played two NHL games in the regular season.  A Boston College product, he was the 21st overall pick in the 2015 draft. He only recently signed his entry-level contract with the Sens.

“I mean, he’s a guy who’s a really smart player,” said Boucher. “He’s got speed, lots of speed, a guy that drives the net, and he’s very reliable on both ends of the ice. That’s why we’re considering him.”

The Senators need to win tonight. If they don’t, the Penguins will advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

After playing for Canada, journeyman Chris Lee reportedly leaving KHL for NHL

AP
2 Comments

His numbers in the KHL jump right off the page.

And he just won a silver medal with Canada at the Worlds.

So it’s no huge surprise to hear, via Aivis Kalniņš, that defenseman Chris Lee has left Magnitagorsk Metallurg to pursue a shot in the NHL.

Lee, who turns 37 in October, had 65 points (15G, 50A) in 60 games for Metallurg this season. He was partnered with Viktor Antipin, the 24-year-old who will reportedly join the Sabres next season. Predictably, there has been speculation that Lee could be on his way to Buffalo.

A late bloomer, Lee was never drafted and has never played an NHL game. He spent most of his North American pro career in the AHL, after getting his start in the ECHL following four years at SUNY-Potsdam. He left for Europe in 2010 and played in Germany and Sweden before arriving in the KHL.

Lee was the only non-NHLer on Canada’s roster at the Worlds.

“Lee fit,” coach Jon Cooper said, per Sportsnet. “You wouldn’t have thought he wasn’t an NHL player.”