Todd McLellan

McLellan on job security: “I’m not concerned one bit”


Despite a 3-5-2 stretch that’s seen his team drop to eighth in the Western Conference, San Jose Sharks head coach Todd McLellan says he isn’t worried about losing his job.

“I’m not concerned one bit,” McLellan told the Mercury News. “I know what we do every single minute to get better, and I know our players are working hard every single minute.”

The Sharks have come under fire recently for their lackluster play and sputtering offense. They’ve scored just 20 goals over the last 10 games and received harsh criticism from Versus NHL analysts Mike Milbury and Keith Jones during a recent 4-3 shootout loss in Colorado.

“It’s alarming to see how flat their stars are in this game,” Jones said.

“I don’t know how to explain the flatness of his team, but it’s so apparent,” Milbury added. “This is a team that looks very lethargic.”

McLellan might not be expressing concern publicly, but privately he must wonder if his job’s truly safe. Five NHL coaches were turfed prior to the 30-game mark, including those of California’s other two NHL teams, Los Angeles (Terry Murray) and Anaheim (Randy Carlyle). This is an interesting development given last year was the first time in NHL history that the Kings, Ducks and Sharks all made the playoffs. Expectations were high for all three Cali teams heading into this year, and two have already axed their coaches for failing to meet them.

That said, McLellan seems to have the support of Sharks GM Doug Wilson.

“We believe in this group and we believe in this staff. We look forward to this team playing up to its capabilities,” he said. “We know we haven’t been playing at the level we’re capable of, and that’s because we’re not playing a full, 60-minute game.

“That’s how you win in this league. And we will fix this.”

Kassian sent to hospital after being involved in car accident

Scott Darling, Zack Kassian

Montreal Canadiens winger Zack Kassian was involved in a car accident early Sunday morning.

According to the Montreal Gazette, Kassian was a passenger in a vehicle that ran into a tree.

The Canadiens have since confirmed the incident took place and have also mentioned that Kassian was taken to hospital.

A club official described his injuries as being “minor”.

“(Kassian) was all bloodied up and stuff. He was in a daze,” said Steve Petrenko, a resident of the street on which the accident took place. “He had a hard time walking, and he almost took a fall.”

This story will be updated when more information is made available.

Habs and Fleischmann agree on one-year deal

Tomas Fleischmann,
1 Comment

The Montreal Canadiens announced that they have signed Tomas Fleischmann to a one-year contract.

According to TVA Sports, the deal is worth $750,000.

The 31-year-old was invited to camp on a professional tryout, but his preseason performance showed that he could still contribute at the NHL level.

Fleischmann found instant chemistry with new linemates David Desharnais and Dale Weise, and it looks like the trio will open the regular season as Montreal’s third line.

The veteran winger started  last season with Florida, but was traded to Anaheim on Feb. 28. He had a hard time cracking the Duck’s lineup and was a healthy scratch in most of their playoff games last spring.

Fleischmann scored eight goals and 27 points in 66 games last season.