Martin Brodeur will start in goal for the New Jersey Devils tonight in Toronto. The 39-year-old is hoping he can get his season back on track soon.
“Teams have scored a lot of goals against me,” Brodeur said, as per NorthJersey.com “That’s something that, hopefully, will change in the near future because we need to win and in this league if you allow more than three goals a game, it’s going to be hard to win hockey games.”
Brodeur is 5-7-0 with a 3.31 goals-against average and .879 save percentage, numbers that have led many to believe his time as an elite NHL goalie is up.
The future Hall of Fame inductee, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is even being asked whether he’d consider playing for a team other than the Devils.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to,” Brodeur said today, as per the Star-Ledger. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
By the way, the Devils have lost four straight by a combined score of 17-7.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.