Patrick Kane

Kane on Chicago’s shootout woes: “It’s frustrating”

On the surface, the Chicago Blackhawks have plenty to be pleased about. They’re healthy, they’ve secured 10 points from seven games and currently sit tied atop the Central division heading into tonight’s home date with Anaheim.

But all is not rosy in the Windy City — especially when games are tied after overtime.

The Blackhawks have gone to the shootout twice this year against Boston and Colorado and lost both times. Most distressingly, they’re 0-for-6 on shootout attempts (Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are 0-for-2, Patrick Sharp and Viktor Stalberg are 0-for-1) which has left the team into looking for answers.

“We’re discussing orders, we’re talking about candidates and shooting first or second. When things don’t work, we look at options,” head coach Joel Quenneville told the Chicago Sun-Times. “We haven’t been anywhere near as effective as we were [last season]. We know we can be better.”

Quenneville even went so far as to hold shootout drills in the middle of Monday’s practice. Under normal circumstances, most teams toy around with them at the end of the session (for example, Pittsburgh’s ‘moustache boy’ competition.)

“It’s frustrating after losing in a shootout because it’s almost like it’s a real loss and you didn’t get anything out of it,” Kane said. “If you win those shootouts, everyone’s excited and upbeat and everyone thinks you played a great game. When you lose in a shootout, it’s like there’s a lot of work that needs to be done.”

That Chicago is frustrated by this — and looking to fix the issue immediately — says a lot about the team. Some would argue the shootout issue will eventually solve itself, given 1) the wealth of Chicago’s offensive talent, 2) the fact Chicago was eighth-best in the shootout last year and 3) in the grand scheme of things, it’s only two shootout losses.

But it’s evident the ‘Hawks want to return to prominence after last season’s letdown, so they’re striving for perfection. It’s kind of like when people are oohing and aahing over a carpenter’s latest project, but all he can focus on is the bent nail in the corner. (I got a D in woodworking, so I’m only assuming this is how he’d feel. My coffee table had three legs.)

As such, none of Chicago’s issues go unaddressed. Even those that might not seem like a big deal.

Getzlaf didn’t love the ‘dead’ atmosphere at Coyotes game

Martin Erat, Ryan Getzlaf
Leave a comment

Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf wasn’t impressed with at least two things last night in Arizona:

1. His team’s performance in a 4-2 loss to the Coyotes.
2. The atmosphere inside Gila River Arena, where the announced attendance was just 11,578.

“It’s hard. When you come into a building … it’s dead,” Getzlaf told the O.C. Register. “Nothing against the fans. It’s hard to fill a big building like this and have the amount of people in it to build your energy. So you have to do it yourself. You have to be ready when you step on the ice. I thought we came out flat.”

Anaheim’s record fell to 8-11-4 with the defeat.

The Coyotes’ average attendance also fell, to 13,144 in eight games.

Jarred Tinordi becomes the latest youngster to be sent to the AHL for ‘conditioning’

Jarred Tinordi, Brendan Gallagher
Leave a comment

Like Frank Corrado (see here), Tomas Jurco (see here), Stanislav Galiev (see here), and Patrik Nemeth (see here) before him, Canadiens defenseman Jarred Tinordi is off to the AHL for a conditioning stint.

Tinordi, 23, has yet to play a single game for the Habs this season; however, because he’s no longer exempt from waivers, the former first-round pick has remained on Montreal’s roster.

It’s an issue that’s received a good deal of attention lately. Some believe the league should do something about it, lest more young players get “stuck” in the NHL.

Tinordi will only be allowed to spend two weeks in St. John’s, as per the rules of his conditioning loan.

Safe to say, if you’re an NHL general manager who thinks Tinordi still has potential, Marc Bergevin would welcome your best offer.

Stars place Lehtonen on IR, call up Campbell and Nemeth

Leave a comment

Kari Lehtonen will miss at least a few games with the upper-body injury he suffered the other night against Ottawa. The Dallas Stars announced today that they’ve placed the 32-year-old goalie on injured reserve, retroactive to Tuesday.

With Lehtonen out, Jack Campbell has been called up from AHL Texas to be Antti Niemi‘s backup. The Stars host Vancouver Friday, with a game at Minnesota Saturday.

Campbell, the 11th overall pick in the 2010 draft, has struggled in the AHL this season, going 3-3-0 with an .873 save percentage.

The Stars have also recalled defenseman Patrik Nemeth after the 23-year-old completed his 14-day conditioning assignment.

Related: Campbell credits ECHL stint for turning his game around

Gleason ends tryout with ‘Canes

Tim Gleason, David Desharnais
Leave a comment

Tim Gleason has likely played his last NHL game. The 32-year-old defenseman has informed the Carolina Hurricanes that he no longer wishes to continue his professional tryout.

“Tim informed us today he wasn’t going to continue to pursue his tryout,” said GM Ron Francis, per the club’s website. “He looked and felt good physically, but didn’t feel up to the grind of the NHL mentally.”

Gleason started last season with Carolina before he was traded to Washington in February.

In his career, he’s played 727 NHL games, plus 32 more in the playoffs.