Drew Doughty’s status as an unsigned restricted free agent continues to roll along. While negotiations haven’t been acrimonious between both sides, things continue to drag along without a deal getting done. After reports of Doughty turning down a nine-year, $68 million offer surfaced last week, it made things seem like there may not be a resolution coming at all in the near future.
Kings GM Dean Lombardi spoke with fans at the L.A. Kings fan fest on Sunday and, as you might expect, the status of negotiations with Doughty came up. Lombardi was able to clear some things up and also make it known just how things are proceeding with their top defenseman.
L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond was on the scene and finds out that negotiations with Doughty are getting so serious that Dean Lombardi is calling in the big guns: His own bosses.
Lombardi indicated that he would talk to team ownership and formulate a negotiation plan for the final days before the start of camp. Lombardi said that any issues involving a no-trade clause haven’t even been discussed with Doughty’s agent.
“I intend to talk to ownership today and update Tim (Leiweke),” Lombardi said. “Anything we do, I have to have their approval or have them be on board. It’s fair to say that in the next 24 hours I’ll be talking to Tim and he will be talking to Mr. Anschutz. There has to be some finality in our approach.”
While Lombardi sounded hopeful that things will get done and Doughty will get locked up long term, those words about going to ownership to help get things figured out make the situation sound a bit more desperate. There is no question that the Kings will get Doughty locked up long term and there’s no threat that he’ll be traded, so the doom and gloom talk can end right there.
That said, the longer things drag out, the more of training camp that Doughty is going to miss. With camp getting under way later this week, that leaves Doughty just a few days to get signed and into camp. Time is ticking away to make sure Doughty doesn’t miss any camp, but getting him signed up and without a potential grudge between himself and management makes more long term sense for the team.
Last night, we asked: What is wrong with the San Jose Sharks?
Well, a day later, with the Sharks looking to avoid a sixth straight loss, the struggle continues.
After a blowout loss last night against the Dallas Stars, the Sharks have fallen behind the Nashville Predators by a score of 2-0 after the opening period.
Colton Sissons opened the scoring for Nashville.
It didn’t get any better for the Sharks.
Roman Josi walked right around Brent Burns, hitting the cross bar with his shot. Cody McLeod was right there for the tap-in to increase Nashville’s lead.
Anxious times right now for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Facing the Buffalo Sabres and looking to extend their winning streak, Curtis McElhinney took over in net for Toronto to begin the second period.
Adding to the situation was the fact Frederik Andersen, who started the game, was reportedly not on the bench when the teams came back out following the intermission.
And now we know why. The Leafs have announced Andersen suffered an upper-body injury and will not return.
Andersen faced 16 shots in the opening period, making 14 saves.
The Maple Leafs are third in the Atlantic Division with 85 points.
Barring a miraculous barrage of goals in the final stretch of games, Alex Ovechkin very likely won’t hit the 50-mark this season.
Now 31 years old, there has been talk that this could be the beginning of the decline for Ovechkin.
But on Saturday, he scored the 30th goal of his season, letting that famous Ovechkin shot rip from his favorite spot on the power play.
For Ovechkin, that’s 12 straight seasons with at least 30 goals scored. He has been consistently prolific since joining the league in 2005-06. He’s an elite player, as everyone has known for years, and he once again joined elite company with this latest goal.
Per the Capitals, Ovechkin joins Mike Gartner and Wayne Gretzky — he was good — as the only three players in NHL history to score at least 30 goals in each of their first 12 seasons in the league.
Patrick Sharp‘s difficult season is now over.
The Dallas Stars announced on Saturday that the 35-year-old forward will undergo hip surgery on Tuesday. The recovery time, according to the club, is between four and five months.
Sharp is in the final year of a five-year contract with a $5.9 million cap hit, per CapFriendly
“We are going to get the surgery done and let him heal. He’s going to train and let’s take a look at him,” said Stars GM Jim Nill, per NHL.com. “We’ve had conversations. If he comes back, he wants it to be Dallas. He thinks he’s a Dallas Star.”
Not only has Sharp dealt with injuries on the ice, but he is dealing with a personal matter off it.
From the Dallas Morning News:
But in battling through two concussions, hip pain, and his dad’s fight with leukemia, Sharp has shown significant fortitude. The Dallas chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association nominated Sharp Saturday as its candidate for the Bill Masterton Trophy, given each season to a player who displays the attributes of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.
“It shows what kind of person he is and what kind of hockey player and leader he is,” said Stars captain Jamie Benn. “I think that’s why he’s a winner at every level he’s played at. I think that’s why he’s a great leader for this team and a great guy for a lot of these young guys to look up to.”
Sharp was first sidelined with a concussion in October. He was then placed on injured reserve with another concussion in December.
He has been held to just 48 games, with eight goals — his lowest total since the lockout-shortened season — and 18 points.