While Dallas Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk claims that the team hasn’t been affected by its ownership issues, there should be little doubt that the franchise would prefer to resolve that situation as soon as possible. The good news is that the team still has plenty of value in the eyes of the hockey and business world, so it might just be a matter of time.
The process still has some way to go before ownership changes hands and it’s not certain yet that Gaglardi will be the owner once the ink dries. The Stars must first go into bankruptcy court in the near future, with the hearing expected to take place at a Delaware district court on September 14.
(Gerry Fraley of The Dallas Morning reveals that Delaware is the location of choice for such hearings “because of its business-friendly climate and the efficiency of its courts in these matters.” Fraley points out that the troubled Los Angeles Dodgers had their own hearings in Delaware during the month of July.)
Although Gaglardi would have a signed purchase agreement it doesn’t mean he is guaranteed to be the club’s new owner. His offer would be what is considered a stalking horse bid. Other potential bidders will be given a chance to top it in the bankruptcy proceedings.
Among the bidders who could be in the mix:
*Irving businessman Billy Quinn, who is the Managing Partner of Natural Gas Parnters
*Allen Americans owner Doug Miller
*Former Texas Rangers CEO Chuck Greenberg
Stepneski passes along word from Nieuwendyk, who said that the sale should be completed before Christmas time. Of course, the NHL would also need to approve the sale, but various reports indicate that shouldn’t be a problem. The Dallas Business Journal points out that the sale could actually wrap up in about a month if there are no other bidders, but that seems unlikely in this situation.
Either way, the consensus indicates that the Stars are approaching the light at the end of the tunnel. That being said, if you’ve followed NHL ownership situations before, you probably realize that it’s rarely safe to assume anything until a new owner is officially approved and announced. We’ll keep you informed about this situation as September 14 rolls around and the sale (hopefully) nears its completion.
‘If he was in Toronto, there’d be no Carey Price, media-wise’ – Boudreau on Dubnyk
While his 11-6-3 record won’t blow anyone’s mind, his 1.65 GAA and .946 save percentage are jaw-dropping. With Dubnyk doing special things, Bruce Boudreau felt the need to say weird things* after Dubnyk helped the Wild beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-2 on Wednesday.
“If he was in Toronto, there would be no Carey Price … I’m just saying media-wise,” Boudreau said after the game, as you can see in this video:
Even if Dubnyk was in a bigger market, there’d probably be room in our hockey thoughts for Dubnyk and the consensus best goalie in the world, but Boudreau’s larger point is taken: Dubnyk has been right there with the best early on this season.
And, let’s be honest, we shouldn’t be too hard on Boudreau or he might stop saying … well, things like this:
Boudreau: "I told the guys, 'It may not look it, but my insides are really happy right now.'" #mnwild
It’s difficult to tell just how big of a headache this might be, but SBNation‘s Mary Clarke uncovered quite the eyebrow-raiser on Wednesday: the Vegas Golden Knights’ trademark request was rejected by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
You can read the 164-page document here (if you’re weird), but the gist is that “registration of the applied-for mark is refused because of a likelihood of confusion with the mark” used by the College of Saint Rose Golden Knights.
Clarke summarized it simply enough:
Essentially, the logos and stylizations are too similar. It’s baffling the NHL and Vegas didn’t go through the trademark process before announcing the name and logo last month. Yet, all is not lost. Later down, the document states the Black Knight Sports and Entertainment group “may respond to the refusal by submitting evidence and arguments in support of registration.”
Sports Illustrated’s Alex Prewitt received this release from the Vegas Golden Knights, which indicated that they will respond to the refusal (and also noted how teams like the Boston Bruins and UCLA Bruins share names without issues).
It wasn’t pretty, and they might have lost key defenseman Matt Niskanento injury, but at least the Washington Capitals managed a win against the Boston Bruins.
For a while, it was looking pretty ugly.
After going up 3-0, the Capitals went more than a period’s worth of time without even managing a shot on goal. Whether you lean more toward giving the Bruins credit for fighting back or beating up the Capitals for “sitting on a lead,” it’s staggering that such a dangerous offense could be held in check for so long.
Luckily for Washington, Nicklas Backstrom salvaged the night with an overtime goal to give the Capitals a 4-3 overtime win.
Both teams have had a knack for extending games beyond regulation lately, by the way:
Capitals over the last three games:
Shootout loss to the Lightning
Overtime win against the Sabres
Overtime win tonight against the Bruins
Bruins over the last five games:
Shootout loss against Flyers
Shootout win against Hurricanes
Regulation win against Sabres
Overtime win against Panthers
Overtime loss to the Capitals
Maybe that’s what gets it done in 2016-17: finding ways to carve out wins and shake out rough patches, like the Caps did tonight.
Matt Niskanen injured by Patrice Bergeron boarding hit
The Capitals consider Niskanen “probable” to return to Wednesday’s game against the Boston Bruins with what they’re calling an upper-body injury. Bergeron received a two-minute boarding penalty for the infraction.
(Check out video of the hit above.)
The Capitals’ Twitter acknowledged the brewing bad feelings.