Teemu Selanne

Teemu watch: Selanne feeling optimistic about coming back for one more season


While we’re waiting to see what will happen with Teemu Selanne and whether he’ll play again this season or retire, he’s having some fun in southern California and participating in a charity game. In Anaheim, they hold the Fedorin Cup, a game that features a host of former and current NHL’ers playing hockey for charity.

Selanne was there at this year’s game and he was even suiting up and giving it a go on his surgically repaired left knee. While Selanne is hoping to play one more season in the NHL, the one thing that could prevent that from happening is his knee. We’ve heard from Selanne already courtesy of a Finnish TV station blog he wrote saying how he was working out hard to be ready for another season, but still there’s a possibility he might not be able to give it another go. We should know by the time Ducks training camp starts on September 16 what his decision will be.

Randy Youngman of the Orange County Register caught up with Selanne to see which way he’s leaning when it comes to playing next season or retiring. For fans hoping to see Selanne play for one more year, hope is still very much alive.

… He wants one more shot at glory. He was hoping his longtime friend and former linemate, Paul Kariya, would join him for one final season, too, but Kariya decided to retire from the NHL after sitting out the entire 2010-2011 season recovering from concussion symptoms.

“We talked a couple of times and we had lunch with Bob Murray (Ducks GM) to talk about it,” Selanne said. “I was hoping PK could play one more year, but he told me all the stories about the problems he’s had (related to concussions). There are more important things than hockey.”

Selanne knows that, too, but he wants one more tour around the NHL, which this season will include a stop in Winnipeg, where his NHL career began nearly two decades ago.

“I know I don’t really have to play; it’s a ‘gift’ kind of thing,” Selanne said. “But I’m really optimistic about the team we have. We have a chance to do something big here.”

It sounds as if Selanne already has made up his mind about coming back; now he’s waiting for his knee to deliver a second opinion.

Selanne has won just one Stanley Cup in the NHL back in 2007 with the Ducks. Getting a shot to win it one more time before calling it a career, a career that’s seen him score 637 goals, would be the best way to go out with style. With Jonas Hiller being ready to comeback from vertigo and having the reining league MVP ready for another big season in Corey Perry, Selanne is right about the Ducks being a potentially great team.

If Selanne can come back and produce another 30+ goal season and contribute 80 points again, the Ducks could be a team that forces their way into the discussion as potential Stanley Cup finalists with the likes of Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit, and San Jose. A Selanne “victory tour” kind of season that culminates in one more spin around the ice carrying the Cup would be the best way to sending the Finnish Flash off into the sunset.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.