Nathan Horton

Nathan Horton is concussion symptom-free and ready to start the season


After we all saw Nathan Horton’s run in the Stanley Cup finals come to an abrupt end thanks to a concussion due to a brutal blindside hit from Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome, you had to wonder just when Horton might be able to get back on the ice. After all, with how concussions are taken more seriously and the other players Boston has seen come under the gun thanks to them (Marc Savard and Patrice Bergeron) it could’ve taken a while.

Turns out that Horton is feeling great and is finally symptom-free from the brutal blow and is set to open up training camp with the Bruins to prepare for next season. Horton told’s Matt Kalman, “I’ll definitely be ready,” he said. “I’d be ready right now if we started.”

Having Horton ready to go helps eliminate any forward issues the Bruins could’ve had otherwise on their top lines. With the departure of Michael Ryder to Dallas in free agency, Mark Recchi’s retirement, and with Brad Marchand still unsigned as a restricted free agent the early going in training camp at right wing could’ve proved to be a bit empty. With the Bruins only adding Benoit Pouliot in the offseason, they’ll be relying a lot on their depth in the system to get things done. They’ll also be looking for Tyler Seguin to have a big second season in the league.

Horton did have one thing to say about the situation from Game 3 that saw Rome take him out of the finals. While Rome did send Horton a text message to apologize for what happened, much like how breaking up with your significant other via text isn’t kosher, neither is saying, “My bad” for nearly ruining a guy’s career as Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe found out.

As usual, Horton was all smiles. But when asked whether Rome had contacted him after the wallop, Horton was quick to dismiss the defenseman’s method of communication: text.

“If it was me, I wouldn’t have thrown a text message someone’s way,” Horton said. “I’d have a little bit more respect to actually make a phone call.”

We’ve no doubts that a phone call in such a situation is more than awkward, but given how things shook out and the extreme high profile of the play, Horton’s right. We’ll remember that next time we find ourselves in a similar situation. With how that whole thing broke down, it probably wouldn’t have hurt Rome to actually call him but as things go in the playoffs when battle lines are drawn, direct apologies don’t always (or ever) happen. Kris Draper might still be waiting for an apology from Claude Lemieux.

That’s not a good excuse for Rome, it’s just how things happen. Considering how guys will go gunning for a prone player, it shouldn’t be too shocking that the lack of common courtesy or tact extends to how it goes off the ice as well. Of course, Rome paid for his mistake in that he was suspended for the rest of the finals and his hit emboldened the Bruins to bring them together to beat Vancouver in seven games to win it all. You might not believe in karmic retribution but that’s about as close as it gets.

All that aside, it’s great to see Horton doing well especially after all the concussion news around the league of late has been nothing but bad or confusing. Here’s to hoping Horton can avoid further problems in the future.

Isles call Strome back up

Ryan Strome, Johnny Boychuk
1 Comment

Ryan Strome has been called back to the New York Islanders, the club announced this morning.

The 22-year-old returns to the NHL after eight games with AHL Bridgeport Sound. He had been sent there three weeks ago, after a tough start to the season.

Strome had two goals and two assists during his stint with the Tigers.

The Isles’ next game is Friday at Florida.

McLellan on Oilers’ loss to ‘Canes: ‘That’s a really disappointing effort from our hockey club’

Leave a comment

With the addition of Connor McDavid, 2015-16 was supposed to be the year Edmonton showed significant progress on the ice.

We’re less than two months into the season, McDavid’s out because of a broken clavicle, and the so-called progress just hasn’t been there.

On Wednesday, the Oilers hit a new low, as they were handed their fifth loss in their last six games at the hands of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins opened the scoring in the first period, but Carolina answered with four unanswered goals by Jordan Staal, Elias Lindholm, Jeff Skinner and Andrej Nestrasil to win 4-1.

“We got outcompeted in the second period, badly,” Mark Letestu told the team’s website. “Whether it was little puck battles or even just executing on systems. It played right into their game. When you get behind a team like this that’s so dominant in the circle it’s tough to generate chances to come back. We didn’t deserve to win this one at all.”

As if things weren’t bad enough, the Oilers also lost Nail Yakupov to injury after a linesman (yes, a linesman) fell on top of him.

After the game, head coach Todd McLellan didn’t hold back:

Edmonton collected 14 points in the first 22 games of the 2014-15 season and after the same amount of games this year, they have just one more point.

They’re currently alone in last place.

PHT Morning Skate: What should your team be thankful for?

Henrik Lundqvist
1 Comment

PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.

No matter how they’re playing, each NHL team has something to be thankful for. (USA Today)

Read an excerpt from former NHLer Patrick O’Sullivan’s book “Breaking Away”. O’Sullivan talks about growing up with an abusive father. (ESPN) takes a look at the 12 biggest surprises at the quarter mark of the season. (

Watch the highlights from yesterday’s game between the Flyers and Islanders:

Mark and Marty Howe do a Q & A with Sports Illustrated’s Sarah Barshop. (Sports Illustrated)

“My goal is to get back into the NHL and I’m working out hard to do that.” Mike Richards speaks to the Waterloo Region Record about waiting for another opportunity. (Waterloo Region Record)

After scoring against the Blues, Sidney Crosby has crossed every team off his hit list.

Patrick Kane’s scoring streak > Sharks’ winning run on Wednesday


SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) Patrick Kane had two assists to extend his career-best scoring streak to 17 games, leading the Chicago Blackhawks to a 5-2 victory over the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday night.

Kane set up Brent Seabrook on Chicago’s first goal and also got a helper on Duncan Keith‘s second-period goal to give him 28 points during the streak.

Jonathan Toews and former Shark Andrew Desjardins also scored for Chicago. Andrew Shaw added an empty-netter for the Blackhawks, who improved to 2-1-1 on their annual circus road trip. The six-game swing concludes this weekend with games in Anaheim and Los Angeles.

Corey Crawford made 27 saves.

Brent Burns and Patrick Marleau scored for the Sharks, who returned home from a 6-0 road trip to lose once again at the Shark Tank. San Jose fell to 3-6 at home this season after dropping 22 games here last season – their most since 1996-97. The Sharks had earned the most points at home in the NHL over the previous nine seasons.

Martin Jones made 21 saves.

After a slow start in their first game back from the perfect road trip, the Sharks found their legs late in the first period and tied the game at 1 when Burns scored on a one-timer from Joe Pavelski on the power play. It was San Jose’s first goal at home with the man advantage all season after 21 failed chances.

But the tie lasted just 88 seconds before Ryan Garbutt sprung Toews on a 2-on-1 and the Chicago captain beat Jones with a shot high to the glove side.

The Blackhawks added to the lead midway through the second period when Keith sent what looked like an innocent shot in from the boards only to see it elude Jones to give Chicago a 3-1 lead.

The Blackhawks then killed off two power plays early in the third before Marleau made it a one-goal game when he beat Crawford with a wrist shot off a faceoff win in the offensive zone with 8:40 to play.

Desjardins restored the two-goal lead 1:07 later when he scored his first of the season on a rebound.

Fresh off their annual stop in Las Vegas during their November road trip when the circus is in town, the Blackhawks started fast. They got the first eight shots on goal and took a 1-0 lead midway through the period when Kane set up Seabrook with a one-timer that beat Jones.

San Jose took more than 13 minutes before getting its first shot on goal.

NOTES: The Blackhawks have one regulation loss in their past 10 games against the Sharks. … Dainius Zubrus made his debut with San Jose on the fourth line after signing a contract Tuesday. … Sharks D Justin Braun was scratched with an upper-body injury.