The Flames were in need of adding a little bit more quality depth to their blue line this summer if they were going to get in shape to contend for a playoff spot this season. With the free agent choices available being as slim as ever, Flames GM Jay Feaster made a solid move in landing former Capitals defenseman Scott Hannan.
Hannan signed with Calgary for one year at $1 million and with the Flames being close to the salary cap, it’s a frugal deal. According to CapGeek.com the Flames will be at $63.9 million, just $400,000 from the cap. Feaster had nothing but glowing words for Hannan in explaining why the Flames signed him.
“Throughout the summer we have consistently said that we were not yet finished adding to our hockey club, and while we have great confidence that one of our second-year prospects or quality depth defensemen we added this off-season will step-up and make our hockey team in training camp, we have also recognized the need for some veteran leadership at that position,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster.
“Scott not only brings a wealth of experience to our blue line, but he also brings a great deal of knowledge about the Western Conference in general and our Division in particular. Just as importantly, he has demonstrated his commitment to our organization and his desire to be a part of our team by agreeing to a contract that enables us to fit him under the salary cap. We are very pleased to add him to the Flames family, and we look forward to his contributions to our success both on and off the ice.”
Hannan takes a massive pay cut to sign with Calgary. His last contract paid him $4.5 million a year against the cap in a deal he signed with Colorado in 2007. He’ll join a Flames team where he’ll plug in as a top four guy alongside Jay Bouwmeester, Mark Giordano, and Anton Babchuk. With other guys like Cory Sarich and Chris Butler in the mix, Hannan provides quality defensive skills and a solid veteran presence to the back line.
The Flames were close to making the playoffs last year and while they didn’t go wild in free agency, Hannan is a quality signing. With this being Feaster’s first offseason with Calgary, he’s trying to piece things together to get Calgary back in the postseason. Guys like Jarome Iginla, Olli Jokinen, and Alex Tanguay aren’t getting any younger and with the dearth of prospects in their system, building through smart free agent signings is how they need to do things for the time being. Getting Hannan is a good move towards that goal.
The Buffalo Sabres announced on Friday evening that they have called up defenseman Brendan Guhle from the Prince George Cougars of the WHL on an emergency basis.
Guhle, a second-round pick (No. 51 overall) by the Sabres in 2015, had impressed in Sabres training camp the past two years but just missed out on making the roster each time. He missed making the team in 2015 in large part because of a concussion after he was hit by Dion Phaneuf.
He did end up playing six games for the Rochester Americans in the American Hockey League a year ago, scoring a goal and adding three assists.
Before his call-up on Friday he had spent the first part of the 2016-17 season playing in the WHL for Prince George as well as the Prince Albert Raiders (he was acquired by Prince George on Nov. 19).
In 19 games between the two teams he has five goals and two assists.
The Sabres needed to call up a defenseman because veteran Josh Gorges was injured on Thursday night in the team’s win over the New York Rangers when he was hit in the foot by a shot.
He had x-rays on Friday and the team is expected to offer some sort of an update on his status on Saturday. In 23 games this season for the Sabres, Gorges has no goals and one assist.
What really hurts for Sabres at the moment is they are already playing without defenseman Dmitry Kulikov and Zach Bogosian due to injury.
The Sabres host the Boston Bruins on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. ET.
The NHLPA has rejected a proposal from the National Hockey League to extend the current collective bargaining agreement by three years in exchange for participation in the 2018 Olympics, according to reports from the Associated Press and Canadian Press.v
The NHL’s participation in the 2018 games in Pyeongchang remains in doubt, mostly due to the cost of insurance and other expenses that go with sending players. In the past, those expenses have been handled by the IOC and IIHF but they are reluctant to foot the bill for the 2018 games.
In recent weeks the NHL presented the NHLPA with an opportunity to participate in the 2018 Olympics in exchange for extending the current CBA through the year 2025, while also eliminating an opt-out clause that exists in 2019.
It was expected that the NHLPA would not be willing to accept that offer from the league.
On Friday, IOC president Thomas Bach said it is in the best interest of all parties for NHL players to participate in the 2018 games, telling the Olympic Channel “all the rational arguments are speaking in favor of participation.”
There is a January deadline set for participation in 2018.
Back in September NHL deputy commissioner said it is possible the NHL could skip the 2018 games and then return for 2022 in Beijing.
NHL players have participated in the past five Olympics dating back to the 1998 games in Nagano, Japan.
There seems to be a desire among the players to participate. Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin, for example, has repeatedly said he plans on playing whether the NHL goes or not.
Anton Khudobin gave the Boston Bruins a much-needed win last night.
He also gave Tuukka Rask a much-welcomed night off.
The Bruins beat the Hurricanes, 2-1, in a shootout at TD Garden. Khudobin made 29 saves, plus two more in the shootout, including the game-decider on Jeff Skinner.
It was an encouraging performance by Khudobin, who returned to the Bruins net for the second time since a conditioning stint in the AHL. It was the first time this season that a Boston goalie other than Rask was credited with a win.
“Very good,” head coach Claude Julien said of Khudobin’s play. “He deserves a lot of accolades tonight, for the way he played, the way he responded after being out such a long time. I think the fact that he went to Providence and played some games there really helped him get back on track. Tonight, he showed that he was ready to play.”
Julien added, “No doubt, there’s a lot of confidence that grew in that dressing room by watching his play and knowing that we’ve got two goaltenders that can play extremely well for us.”
The Bruins did not feel they had good enough backup goaltending the past two seasons, both of which ended outside the playoff picture. And so they bid adieu to Niklas Svedberg and Jonas Gustavsson, bringing Khudobin back into the fold on a two-year contract.
Granted, one win isn’t enough to conclude that Khudobin will be fine. He’s now 1-3-0 with a .902 save percentage, and those numbers could still be much better.
But he’ll be back in there soon enough. The Bruins have 15 more games in December, and Rask isn’t going to play them all.
Jori Lehtera received one of his lowest ice times of the season in Thursday’s win over Tampa Bay — just 11:21 — and was demoted to the fourth line at Friday’s practice.
If that didn’t send a message, Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock delivered it shortly thereafter.
“We’re going to need more from him,” Hitchcock said, per NHL.com’s Lou Korac. “The position we have him in, we need more from that position.”
Lehtera was signed to a three-year, $14.1 million extension after a solid ’14-15 campaign, in which he scored 14 goals and 44 points in 75 games. His offensive production sagged a bit last year (nine goals, 34 points in 79 games) and he’s gone through some difficult stretches this year.
The 28-year-old Finn had just three points through his first 15 games of the year, but did look as though he’d turned the corner recently. Prior to the Bolts game he had four points in four contests, including his first multi-goal effort of the season (potting a pair in a 4-2 win over Boston).
Clearly, though, Hitchcock thinks there’s more to give.
Per the Post-Dispatch, Hitch said he’s unsure if Lehtera will play on Saturday, when the Blues host the Jets. Nail Yakupov and Ty Rattie both sat out against Tampa Bay, and either one could draw into the lineup.
The Lehtera development comes with the Blues playing some of their best hockey of the year. They’ve won seven of their last eight, and are just four points back of Chicago for top spot in the Western Conference.