Teemu Selanne

Report: Teemu Selanne to decide on playing future in September

1 Comment

While some are waiting for their favorite restricted free agents to be signed, others are waiting to see whether or not Teemu Selanne is going to come back for at least one more season in the NHL. After scoring 31 goals and piling up 80 points last year, it was a renaissance for the 40 year-old superstar in Anaheim.

After a year with so many good things for Selanne and so much nostalgia to build on, NHL fans are hopeful that he’ll give it one more go. With Selanne being 41 now and dealing with a knee that’s hounded the latter stages of his career, he’s taking his time to make a decision on whether or not to retire.

A report out of a Finnish newspaper says that Selanne won’t be making a decision on his future until September. Eric Stephens of The Orange County Register got cracking on finding a translator for the story and hooked us up with the information about the Finnish Flash’s future we’re itchy to find out.

Enlisting the translation help of Vesa Rantanen, who’s covered Selanne and many other Finnish players in the NHL for the paper, Selanne reportedly said that it’s “fair for all parties” to hold off on announcing his intentions to the team until then.

Selanne, 41, originally had set a personal deadline of July 1 but pushed that back after undergoing an arthroscopic procedure on his troublesome left knee to see whether it will hold up to competition for another 82 or more games.

The Ducks are a much more offensively potent and formidable team with Selanne on the ice and last year was a true revelation for him. Breaking the 30 goal barrier while playing more than 70 games for the first time since the Ducks Stanley Cup winning season in 2007 helped him give the Ducks the kind of offensive balance they needed. Having a first line of Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, and Bobby Ryan is great for scoring goals but having Selanne line up with Saku Koivu and Jason Blake gave them a solid one-two punch with their lines.

With Selanne waiting until September and, presumably, before training camp to make a decision it leads us to believe he’s going to be back for another year. The Ducks have been great to Selanne and waiting that long to make a career choice would leave the Ducks in a lurch if he were to retire right before the team was to get together. Unless Selanne has any sort of setbacks with his knee, it would seem likely that we’ll see Selanne back out there one more season.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.