Edmonton Oilers v Pittsburgh Penguins

Kings file formal grievance with the NHL regarding Smyth/Fraser trade with Oilers

6 Comments

At long last, the Dean Lombardi and the Los Angeles Kings have finally filed a formal grievance with the NHL regarding the health of Colin Fraser. For weeks Lombardi has said the team may have to “look at our legal avenues” to work the situation out with the Oilers and today, they did just that. It’s only the next step in a strange, twisted saga that has lead to the Kings GM comparing the difficulty of the trade to the Gretzky trade over 20 years ago and comparing the Oilers management to Bernie Madoff. And people say the offseason is boring.

As a fresher for fans who are just joining the story, the Kings and Oilers were working on a trade at the draft that would send Ryan Smyth to the Oilers for Gilbert Brule (with the Kings’ intention to immediately buy-out his contract). Even though Edmonton’s management said that Brule was cleared to play, NHL attorneys were involved in the process and relayed that the Kings would not be able to waive Brule since he had not fully recovered from last year’s concussion.

The two teams moved onto Plan B which consisted of the Kings receiving Colin Fraser and a 7th round pick. Instead of buying Fraser out of his contract, this time the plan was him to compete for a 4th line role with the Kings. Again, Edmonton’s management said that he was healthy and was recovering nicely from foot surgery. Once Fraser arrived in Los Angeles and was evaluated by team doctors, it was revealed that Fraser was not recovering from his broken foot/ankle and would require surgery that could keep him out for up to four months. Upon hearing the news, Oilers GM Steve Tambellini responded with a variation of: “too bad, so sad.”

Two trades, two packages filled with damaged goods.

This week, Fraser finally went underwent surgery to repair his unhealed ankle injury. Once he went under the knife, it opened up legal action for the Kings as they have physical proof that Fraser was not as healthy as the Oilers said he was. Before, it was more of “he said/she said” war of words between the two organizations. But now that Fraser has had surgery, there’s proof that Fraser was not as healthy as previously claimed.

The confusing part within the dispute is the possible conclusion to the debate. There’s no way the Kings would want to void the trade at this point since they’ve already moved on from Ryan Smyth and his $6.25 million cap hit for next season. Likewise, after the emotional press conference featuring Ryan Smyth explaining he “didn’t want to leave in the first place,” it’s doubtful that Smyth wouldn’t want to have to leave again because a trade is deemed null and void.

Since the grievance has been filed with the league, his dispute will find its way to Commissioner Gary Bettman’s desk and will await his judgment. Whether the final judgment requires the Oilers to provide alternative compensation, draft pick compensation, voids the trade, or rules in the Oilers favor, the league and both cities will eagerly await the Commissioner’s decision on the matter. No matter which way Bettman rules, he’ll be setting a precedent for all future trades. If he rules for the Oilers, he’ll basically be saying that all trades are on an “as is” basis. If he rules for the Kings, he’ll set the precedent that injured players cannot be traded unless both parties agree on the extent of the injuries. Either way, the ruling will have the potential to affect future NHL trades.

Now, we’ll wait to see what Gary Bettman has to say on the subject…

Avalanche say ankle injury ends Nikita Zadorov’s season

DENVER, CO - DECEMBER 14: Nikita Zadorov #16 of the Colorado Avalanche congratulates Matt Duchene #9 after his goal against the Philadelphia Flyers at the Pepsi Center on December 14, 2016 in Denver, Colorado.  (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
Getty
Leave a comment

As if the Colorado Avalanche needed another miserable element to 2016-17: Nikita Zadorov suffered a season-ending injury during the same practice that Erik Johnson returned.

Zadorov injured his ankle after being tangled up with Mikko Rantanen during a Monday practice, according to the Denver Post.

Update: The Denver Post’s Mike Chambers reports that it’s a fractured ankle. Yikes.

Zadorov, 21, is a big defenseman with the pedigree that would inspire teams to imagine better things in the future (16th pick in 2013 by Buffalo). So far, that potential hasn’t really manifested itself in production, whether you judge a player by points, plus/minus or possession numbers.

He may be able to put it together at some point – again, he’s young – so perhaps he’ll remember this as a low point before he turns things around.

At the moment, it’s just another grim part of a bleak time for the Avs.

Kings may just lean on Budaj as Quick progresses toward return

LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 08:  Goaltender Jonathan Quick #32 of the Los Angeles Kings stands on the ice during a preseason game against the Colorado Avalanche at T-Mobile Arena on October 8, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Colorado won 2-1 in overtime.  (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Getty
Leave a comment

LA Kings Insider provided a mostly positive update about Jonathan Quick‘s gradual recovery from what’s been a season-long injury. Still, it’s difficult to get a truly concrete idea about the team’s plans.

Quick told Jon Rosen that “everything’s coming along really well,” but they didn’t give a hard date on when he may suit up again for Los Angeles.

(NHL.com and Rosen’s report remind us that the general aim is for “the first half of March.”)

The Kings were mulling over the possibility of recalling former Stars first-round pick Jack Campbell to attempt to ease the surprisingly large burden on journeyman goalie Peter Budaj, but Rosen reports that such discussions have been “tabled.”

Jeff Zatkoff has been a mixture of inactive and ineffective for the Kings, so what about getting help elsewhere for Budaj? That part’s a little fuzzy, though it’s clear that Budaj – Zatkoff is the duo for the moment.

Darryl Sutter backs that up, via Rosen:

But, according to a source, Campbell’s recall has been tabled, as it appears as though Budaj and Zatkoff will be the duo until Quick is able to return, and that no cut-off will be necessary as Quick is “on that path” towards being game-ready, according to Sutter.

None of this explicitly shuts down at least the thought of trading for goaltending help, though it doesn’t give you the impression that such a move is pressing for the Kings. They’re not laying out a deadline, whether it be a self-imposed one or the trade deadline itself.

Some of this seems a little unclear, though it currently follows the pattern of this season: it falls on Budaj, at least until Quick is back. Whenever that may be.

Trouba suspended two games for ‘high, forceful’ headshot on Stone

13 Comments

Jets blueliner Jacob Trouba has been suspended two games for his headshot on Ottawa forward Mark Stone, the NHL’s Department of Player Safety announced on Monday.

“Trouba steps up and delivers a high, forceful blow that makes the head the main point of contact, on a hit where such head contact was avoidable,” the DoPS explained. “The onus here is on Trouba to deliver a full body hit through his opponent’s core. Instead, Trouba takes a poor angle of approach, picking Stone’s head.”

The incident occurred in Winnipeg’s 3-2 win over Ottawa on Sunday. Trouba was given a two-minute minor on the play, much to the displeasure of Ottawa head coach Guy Boucher.

Stone didn’t return to the game following the hit but, according to the DoPS, “suffered no apparent injury.”

Trouba will now miss tomorrow’s game in Toronto, then Winnipeg’s next game following the bye week — on Feb. 28, against Minnesota. He’s eligible to return on Mar. 3, when the Jets host the Blues.

Trouba will also forfeit $33,333.34 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Sens extend depth blueliner Claesson — one year, $650,000

OTTAWA, ON - APRIL 5: Fredrik Claesson #49 of the Ottawa Senators skates against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Canadian Tire Centre on April 5, 2016 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  (Photo by Jana Chytilova/Freestyle Photography/Getty Images)
Getty
Leave a comment

Ottawa made a minor move on Monday, agreeing to terms with d-man Fredrik Claesson on a one-year extension worth $650,000.

The deal is of the one-way variety.

Claesson, 24, has appeared in 19 games for the Sens this year, scoring five points. He’s averaging just 10:27 per game but has been a more regular lineup fixture regularly, having played in five of Ottawa’s last six games.

The Swedish rearguard has also appeared in nine games for AHL Binghamton. Since coming over from SHL outfit Djurgardens in 2013, Claesson has been up and down between Bingo and Ottawa frequently, though this latest deal would suggest he’s in line for a more permanent NHL gig.