Aaron Boogaard made first appearance in court but did not enter a plea today

Aaron Boogaard fulfilled the first part of his obligations stemming from last week’s charges related to his involvement in his brother Derek Boogaard’s prescription drug-related death by appearing in Minneapolis court today. Aaron didn’t enter a plea during that first Monday court date, according to the Associated Press.

Aaron Boogaard is accused of providing the painkillers that ultimately contributed to his brother’s death. (Derek died because of a toxic mixture of oxycodone and alcohol). Aaron is also being charged with flushing the remaining non-prescribed pills down the toilet between the time he called about Derek’s death and when authorities arrived at the two brothers’ apartment. That amounts to a felony charge for drug possession (“third degree sale of a controlled substance”) and a gross misdemeanor for “interference with a death.”

The Associated Press report indicates that Minnesota state guidelines recommend a sentence of 21 months of probation. Here is a little bit more from that AP report.

Aaron Boogaard remains free on bail but must avoid alcohol and non-prescribed drugs. Neither he nor his attorney, John Lundquist, commented on the charges after the hearing. Lundquist last week said they would address the allegations in court rather than in the media, and that his client is devastated by his brother’s death.

Lundquist did explain Monday why immigration officials put a hold on his Canadian client after his arrest last week. He said the visa that lets Boogaard play hockey in the U.S. doesn’t extend to the offseason, and that it’s a common problem among players.

Aaron Boogaard’s next court date is on August 17. We’ll keep you updated about this sad situation.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One
Leave a comment

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.