Tomas Kaberle

The curious case of free agent defenseman Tomas Kaberle

11 Comments

For an unassuming guy, Tomas Kaberle always seems to be at the center of attention one way or another. While with the Maple Leafs, Kaberle was often the whipping boy for fans in spite of being one of the team’s top point producers on the blue line.

When he was traded to Boston and hailed as the guy to solve the Bruins power play woes as their new quarterback on the man advantage, he was criticized for not fulfilling those expectations. During the Bruins’ run to the Stanley Cup, however, Kaberle was one of the Bruins’ strongest players offensively on the blue line racking up 11 assists through the playoffs and ending up the postseason a +8 in plus/minus.

Kaberle’s seen the heights of being viewed as a top offensive-defenseman and the lows of being the team goat only to rally himself in vindication with a Stanley Cup. So how come he’s still available as a free agent? It’s a good question.

After the deals we’ve seen thrown around for guys like Christian Ehrhoff, Kevin Bieksa, Ed Jovanovski, and James Wisniewski, someone should’ve gone over the deep end for a guy with Kaberle’s skill set and expierence by now… Right? Not so fast.

WEEI’s D.J. Bean has the update on what’s up with Kaberle.

According to a source familiar with the situation, free agent defenseman Tomas Kaberle remains in contact with the Bruins and is also talking to multiple other teams, but it isn’t likely that he’ll be signing with anyone in the immediate future.

The source told WEEI.com on Monday that Kaberle is “not likely to make a decision until sometime next week.”

The Bruins continuing to have interest is nothing new as Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli made it known that he liked what Kaberle brought to the table. Hey, when you help a team win a Stanley Cup, what’s not to like? That said, the market for offensively capable defenseman as it stands now is wafer thin.

Take a look at this list of available unrestricted free agent defensemen from CapGeek. With guys like Bryan McCabe, Scott Hannan, Shane O’Brien, Steve Staios, Brent Sopel, and Radek Martinek available the pickings are slim for NHL-ready guys that can produce at this level. Of the guys available that can produce offensively, only McCabe and Anton Stralman really have those capabilities as they’re both solid power play guys. Kaberle’s run in Boston, though, showed he’s actually capable at both ends of the ice.

For a team in need, Kaberle can fill it and he doesn’t appear to be a candidate to require a monster deal to bring him in, although in this market you just don’t know. We’ll see him get locked up soon enough, but the fact he hasn’t already after being poised to be one of the biggest targets heading into free agency is something that’s still stunning. Perhaps after all the drama, Kaberle will end up being the sneaky surprise of this summer’s free agent class.

Blues, Capitals to play exhibition game in Kansas City

Pedestrians walk past the Sprint Center, Sunday, March 24, 2013, in Kansas City, Mo. The city was preparing for the third round of the NCAA college basketball tournament at the arena after the region received 6-10 inches of snow overnight. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
AP
1 Comment

Kansas City is going to host another NHL exhibition game.

The St. Louis Blues announced today that they’ll take on the Washington Capitals on Oct. 5 at Sprint Center. Both Vladimir Tarasenko and Alexander Ovechkin will be there, at least according to the press release.

The Blues last played in K.C. a couple of years ago when they took on the Stars in exhibition play. In 2011, a sellout crowd watched the Penguins and Kings at Sprint Center.

A market once considered a candidate for expansion or relocation — particularly after Sprint Center opened in 2007 — the NHL-to-Kansas City buzz has since died down. Last year, there was no interest from Kansas City when the league called for expansion applications.

Sensing an opportunity to make their team a favorite of all Missourians, not just the ones in St. Louis, the Blues have said they’d like to cultivate their fan base across the state in Kansas City.

Report: Pens won’t make Fleury (talks too much) available to media

at Pepsi Center on December 9, 2015 in Denver, Colorado.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Don’t expect many updates on Marc-Andre Fleury‘s health over the next little while.

Well — don’t expect them to come from Fleury, anyway.

Per TVA Sports, Fleury has been shut down from speaking with reporters until he’s fully recovered from the concussion that’s sidelined him since Apr. 2.

A translation of Renaud Lavioe’s piece for TVA, per PHT’s Joey Alfieri:

Fleury practiced with his teammates this morning at the Verizon Center.

What I can tell you is he’s feeling better, but the Penguins have decided not to make Fleury available to the media because he says too much.

The next time Fleury talks to the media, it’s because he’ll be ready to return.

Not to be mean, but Matt Murray has given up three goals or more in back-to-back games.

Earlier this week, Fleury told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that — despite participating in on-ice workouts — he’s still dealing with concussion symptoms.

“It’s one of the toughest things I’ve been through,” he explained. “Some good days, when you think you’re back, and some bad days, when you think it’s never going to get fixed.”

The Fleury situation seems to have rankled some within the Penguins organization — like head coach Mike Sullivan, who took issue with questions about the club’s handling of Fleury.

Here’s a related series of tweets from DKonPittsburghSports’ Josh Yohe:

Game 2 of the Pens-Caps series goes tomorrow from Verizon at 8 p.m. ET (NBCSN). Matt Murray, who allowed four goals on 35 shots in the Game 1 loss, is expected to start in goal.

North Dakota loses another d-man as Kings sign LaDue

BOSTON, MA - APRIL 09:  Paul LaDue #6 of North Dakota skates against the Boston University Terriers during the second period of the 2015 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey Championship semifinals at TD Garden on April 9, 2015 in Boston, Massachusetts.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Keaton Thompson, Troy Stecher and now, Paul LaDue.

On Friday, the Kings announced that LaDue — the junior d-man that helped North Dakota win the Frozen Four — agreed to a one-year, entry-level deal, forgoing his senior season in the process.

LaDue, 23, was part of a talented UND blueline that also featured fellow juniors Troy Stecher — who since signed with Vancouver — and Thompson, who inked with the Ducks.

So yeah, bit of an exodus.

Thankfully for North Dakota, freshman scoring sensation Brock Boeser has already committed to returning for his sophomore campaign, while junior defenseman Gage Ausmus — a San Jose draftee — vowed to go back to school as well.

As for Frozen Four MOP Drake Caggiula — a senior that was already leaving school — he’s already begun his tour of interested NHL suitors.

Per TSN, Caggiula has shortlisted six clubs: Philadelphia, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Chicago and Buffalo.

Wilson fined for kneeing Sheary

Wilson hit
18 Comments

No suspension for Capitals forward Tom Wilson. Only a fine.

That’s what the NHL’s Department of Player Safety decided after Wilson kneed Pittsburgh’s Conor Sheary last night in Washington.

The fine of $2,403.67 is the maximum allowable under the CBA, and, at the very least, it puts Wilson on official notice.

Wilson was not penalized on the play, and Sheary was able to leave the ice under his own power and remain in the game.

“We’re just going to play hockey, and the refs are going to call it the way they see it,” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan told reporters afterwards. “Our guys are going to play.”

This morning, Capitals coach Barry Trotz reportedly said of the play, “It was OK, but it wasn’t I would say necessary.”