Keith Yandle

Defensive lock down: Coyotes keep Keith Yandle for five years, $26.25 million

Sure the Phoenix Coyotes are still owned by the NHL but GM Don Maloney can make magic happens when he has to. With young up and coming defenseman Keith Yandle a restricted free agent this summer, getting him locked up to a long term deal while under a budget seemed like it would be tough to do.

Apparently all it is for the Coyotes is expensive as the team locked Yandle up for five more years for $26.25 million. That cap hit for the Coyotes works out to be $5.25 million per year over the course of the term making him one of the better paid defensemen in the NHL. Fortunately for the Coyotes, Yandle is also one of the better blue liners in the game.

Maloney says there’s good reason why they’re happy to hang on to him.

“Keith is an elite player and one of the game’s best young defenseman,” said Maloney. “He is an important part of our future and we are thrilled to sign him to a long-term contract.”

Last season, Yandle had a break out season in Phoenix scoring 11 goals and adding 48 assists and a career high 59 points. Yandle has improved each season he’s been in the NHL and his play last year had some people talking about him in the crowd for the Norris Trophy. While his play slowed down a bit in the second half of the year, the 24 year-old Boston, Massaschusetts native proved himself over the course of the full season adding play making abilities to his credit.

Yandle became the Coyotes top defenseman and averaged over 24 minutes of ice time last season because of it. With the added responsibilities the Coyotes thrived with Yandle out there and for a team that had some problems producing goals, Yandle was a constant helper in doing so finishing just one point behind Shane Doan for the team lead in points.

Outside of Ilya Bryzgalov, there was no more important player to the Coyotes last season than Keith Yandle. Hanging on to him for the long term was a no-brainer decision for the team and if he continues to improve his play and produce more points, he’ll wind up being a Norris finalist one day.

Silfverberg is set to practice again after Torres hit

Jakob Silfverberg
Leave a comment

Considering all of the controversy surrounding the 41-game suspension for Raffi Torres, some might have lost track of the guy who received that hit: Jakob Silfverberg.

The good news is that, at the moment, it seems like he’s OK.

The Anaheim Ducks announced that he skated on his own and will be involved in the team’s next practice:

That falls in line with some of the fall-out from the hit, as head coach Bruce Boudreau let out a relieved “thank goodness” at the young forward seemingly dodging a bullet.

Here’s video of the hit and the suspension decision:

Silfverberg, 24, enjoyed a nice breakout in 2014-15, especially during the playoffs.

Keep in mind that injuries can sometimes crop up later than expected, especially potential head injuries/concussions. Still, it seems like the initial reaction is that the damage was minimal.

Report: Sean Avery was arrested last week

New York City Ballet Celebrates Legendary Fashion Designer Valentino Garavani

From the Southampton Press:

Sean Avery, the former National Hockey League player, was arrested by Southampton Village Police last week on two criminal charges.

According to authorities, Mr. Avery was arrested September 30 following a routine traffic stop on Jennings Avenue in the village at about 4:09 p.m. He was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief and two counts of seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, all misdemeanors.

Police said the criminal mischief charge involved an incident the day before, when Mr. Avery allegedly threw objects at passing vehicles.

As for those counts of possession, according to the newspaper, Avery was found to have “two prescription drugs, acetaminophen with oxycodone and roxicodone.”

He was released on $500 bail and ordered to appear in court at a later date.

Did we mention he’s supposed to get married this weekend?

H/t Gawker