Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Oilers sign 2011 number one pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to three-year entry level deal

Last week Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was the talk of Edmonton and the NHL world for being picked first in the 2011 NHL Draft. This weekend, amid free agency madness, he took care of some important paperwork signing his three-year entry level deal with Edmonton to get him best prepared to potentially enter the NHL next season.

The Oilers getting Hopkins signed now doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll play in the NHL next season, it just means he can if he can crack the lineup. Should he make the team, he’ll have a fellow youngster to learn from on how it goes when you make the jump from junior hockey into the greatest league in the world. Taylor Hall was able to go from playing in Windsor one year to playing for the Oilers the next after being taken #1 overall in 2010.

Should Hopkins make the jump to the NHL, the Oilers will have a very talented group of forwards but a group that’s very young. With Hall, Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, Sam Gagner checking in at 22 years-old or younger there’s a lot to be hopeful of in Edmonton. Oilers GM Steve Tambellini is eager to see what Hopkins can add to the mix right away as the Edmonton Journal’s Joanne Ireland found out.

General manager Steve Tambellini said again on Saturday that the Oilers will not rush Nugent-Hopkins to the NHL team’s roster this season. He just wanted to get the contract done sooner rather than later, and since there isn’t much wiggle room with the top pick, it wasn’t going to take much more than a couple of signatures.

“I can’t wait to see him with the rest of our guys at development camp,” said Tambellini. “We know what he is as a hockey player, what he’s going to be, but I don’t think people know yet what a quality person he is. I look forward to working with him for many many years.”

If the Oilers are fortunate, he can jump in right away and produce immediately the way Hall and Eberle did last season. Should Hopkins make the NHL right away, he’ll come in with a cap hit of $3.775 million thanks to his base salary and bonuses factored in. That salary won’t be an issue for the Oilers who are well below the salary cap.

With how many top picks the Oilers have been pulling in over the years while the team has been mired in mediocrity it brings hope that times will change in Edmonton in a big way soon. For now, they’ll have to deal with the growing pains but with talents like they have, the pains will at least be entertaining to see in action.

‘Yotes return Dylan Strome to OHL

Dylan Strome, Nikita Nikitin
Leave a comment

The Arizona Coyotes have returned Dylan Strome to the Erie Otters of the OHL.

Strome, 18, was the third overall pick in the 2015 NHL draft.

The 6’3, 185 pounder was hoping to stick with the Coyotes this season, but the team decided to take the conservative approach with their top prospect.

Strome will look to build off an incredible junior season that saw him score 45 goals and 129 points in 68 games.

Strome seems to be taking the demotion in stride.

The team also announced that they’ve assigned goaltender Louis Domingue and forward Matthias Plachta to their AHL affiliate in Springfield.

Domingue, 23, had a 1-2-1 record with a 2.73 goals-against-average and a .911 save percentage in seven games last season.

Plachta, a free agent signing, will begin his first pro season in North America. The 24-year-old had 14 goals and 35 points in the German League last season.


Detroit places Datsyuk and three others on I.R.

Pavel Datsyuk,
Leave a comment

The Red Wings have placed Pavel Datsyuk, Darren Helm, Danny DeKeyser and Alexey Marchenko on injured reserve.

Placing these players on I.R. opens up four more roster spots for Detroit.

The Red Wings have suffered an incredibe amount of injuries heading into the season.

Datsyuk (ankle) is expected to be out until November.

DeKeyser (foot) is going to miss three-to-four weeks, while Helm (concussion) and Marchenko (lower-body) are considered day-to-day.

The team also announced that they have reduced their training camp roster to 27 players on Sunday.

Top prospect Dylan Larkin remains in camp for now.

Coach Jeff Blashill told reporters that the 19-year-old has looked good, but a final decision hasn’t been made on where he will play this year.

As for Larkin, he’s just fed up of living in a hotel.

“There’s been so much speculation and so many questions, and no one really knows,” said Larkin. “Maybe the coaches know, but just to find out where I’ll be living or what’s happening — I’m kind of sick of the hotel. It would be nice to know what’s going on.”