Stan Bowman

Chicago not likely to go crazy on free agency market this year

It’s free agency madness that’s taking over the NHL world today and for a lot of teams that means getting into crazy bidding wars for players that you might not expect to see a lot of bids on. Offers will be bandied about and figures will be exchanged all around and we’re sure there’s going to be more than a few guys that end up making a ton of money leaving us to scratch our heads about what we’ve done with our lives.

One team that’s been in that position once before where they left the world staggered by the money they handed out is Chicago. Think back to past deals that saw them give Brian Campbell an eight-year $57 million deal and Marian Hossa a 12-year, $63 million free agent contract. Those deals set the NHL world on fire for both their length and dollar amounts. We’ve already gotten a taste for some of that madness already (right Buffalo?) but the Blackhawks aren’t eager to dip in like that this time around.

Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times gets the word from Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman that going wild in this year’s free agency market isn’t something they’re eager to do as they’d rather find a certain kind of player.

As Bowman sees it, the Hawks have enough top-caliber skill with Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa and Dave Bolland up front and Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook on the blue line. So as far as free agents, think in terms of Maxime Talbot instead of Richards.

“We’re looking for a certain style of player,” Bowman said. “If you’re looking for a No. 1 center or that kind of player, maybe [the free-agent class] is not as strong. That’s debatable. But we haven’t been focusing on that because we’re comfortable with the players we have in those roles. We’re trying to get a different kind of player into our mix here. It’s a good group for that.”

That’s not to say he won’t try to sign players capable of being among the top six forwards.

“A player that can play in your top six doesn’t necessarily mean he’s ­going to make huge dollars,” Bowman said. “There are certain players that we have in mind that we think could play with our top guys.”

Certain players like Talbot or Carolina’s Erik Cole might be the brand of player Bowman is talking about. After scoring 26 goals last year and being one of the more clutch guys in the league, Cole has the sort of talent where he could blend in beautifully on Chicago’s second line. The price, however, has to be right. The Hawks showed already that they’re willing to pony up nicely for a guy that will fit in with them well as they gave defenseman Steve Montador a sweet deal for four years and $11 million. That might be coughing up a lot for a player of his caliber, but it’s the going rate this offseason.

As for who else might end up on their radar along with guys like Talbot and Cole, Phoenix’s Vernon Fiddler is another interesting person to watch as they might look to secure that third line centerman to help establish Dave Bolland as their full time second line center. Either Fiddler or Talbot would fit that description well, but they won’t be cheap and that’s where the pitfalls of this year’s free agent market come in. Crazy money will be thrown around, but don’t expect Chicago to be market breakers any more than they already have been.

Video: Eichel’s first career NHL goal

Leave a comment

Didn’t take long for Jack Eichel to make his mark at the NHL level.

The No. 2 overall pick at this year’s draft scored his first-ever NHL goal in his first-ever NHL game on Thursday night, cutting Ottawa’s lead to 2-1 in the third period of Buffalo’s season-opener.

Marcus Foligno and another new Sabre, Evander Kane, registered the assists on Eichel’s marker, which came on the power play.


Tough start: Lehner knocked out of Sabres debut, won’t return

Matt Puempel, Alex Chiasson, Robin Lehner
Leave a comment

Chances are Robin Lehner won’t look back fondly on his first game as a Sabre.

Midway through Buffalo’s season-opener against Ottawa, Lehner — facing his old team for the first time since getting traded this summer — suffered a lower-body injury, and was forced from the contest.

During the second intermission, the Sabres ruled out Lehner for the night.

It was a difficult turn of events for 24-year-old, who admitted he was keen to go up against the Sens. He had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about his time in the Canadian capital; Lehner felt he never got a full opportunity to run with the No. 1 gig, and probably wasn’t thrilled GM Bryan Murray opted to keep Craig Anderson and Andrew Hammond instead of him.

As for tonight’s injury, details are scarce. All that’s known is the ailment was serious enough for Lehner to leave and not return, forcing backup Chad Johnson into duty.

Prior to getting hurt, Lehner had stopped 11 of 12 shots faced.