Christian Ehrhoff, Dennis Seidenberg

Christian Ehrhoff polls other players about Buffalo, Sabres wait for his answer


The Buffalo Sabres haven’t landed a big star in Terry Pegula’s brief run as their new owner, but the team has clearly been willing to make bold moves. During the trade deadline, they weren’t shy to overspend a bit to acquire hot-and-cold forward Brad Boyes. They continued that trend by sending their 2012 fourth round pick to the New York Islanders to earn Christian Ehrhoff’s negotiating rights last night.

Sabres GM Darcy Regier would probably be happy to give up that pick if it means landing the hard-shooting German defenseman, but that remains a big if. Still, there seems to be an air of optimism around the situation as Ehrhoff polls former and potential new teammates about Buffalo and the Sabres franchise.

John Vogl gathered insight from both sides for the Buffalo News.

Ehrhoff, one of the premier defensemen set to enter Friday’s free agent market, has contacted former teammates with ties to the Sabres to learn more about Buffalo, which acquired his rights via trade Wednesday night.

“So far, it’s been positive,” Regier said in HSBC Arena. “He has initiated his own discovery on Buffalo. He has played with some players, he’s contacted a couple of former teammates, Mike Grier … he’s played with some other guys, Jochen [Hecht] as well in international arena. He’s doing that work, and his wife is involved with him. Kim and Terry [Pegula] are involved, Lindy [Ruff] and myself. So far it’s been positive.”


“When we examined the prospects of going into the open market and competing with all the other teams, we decided that we would try and get a head start,” Regier said. “It’s costly. A fourth-round pick is significant. It’s not something we’ve done in the past, but it’s an advantage that we plan on making pay off.”

The Islanders reportedly gave Ehrhoff a deadline to decide if he would accept their alleged five-year, $23 million-plus offer (which he did not, of course). Regier said that he won’t take that track with Ehrhoff.

“I’m not big on deadlines and drawing lines in the sand. We’ll work with him,” Regier said. “He’s going to discuss the situation more with his wife, with his agent, and we will hear back at some point this afternoon.”

If word leaks about Ehrhoff’s decision sometime this afternoon, we’ll let you know. Either way, we’ll probably have a better idea about what he’s thinking on Friday (or a few days/weeks/months later) when he signs what will probably be a very lucrative new contract.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One
Leave a comment

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.