Buffalo Sabres v Philadelphia Flyers - Game Two

Jeff Carter remains silent in wake of trade to Columbus

7 Comments

It’s been four days since the Columbus Blue Jackets completed their long-rumored deal for Jeff Carter. Four days since the entire fanbase in Columbus started dreaming about Carter and Rick Nash racking up the points at will. Four days since the team thought they had answered the #1 center question that had been haunting the team since its inception. It should be a joyous time for hockey fans in Ohio—but the trade hasn’t gone down as expected.

The cold fact of the matter is that it’s been four days since the trade and Jeff Carter as still not said a word to the media. There haven’t been any radio interviews, no phone conferences with reporters, and not even a simple press release. There has only been silence—and plenty of it.

The good news for Blue Jackets fans is that Carter’s frustration/anger/sadness is not directed at the Columbus organization. There are various reports that Carter had been assured by Flyers management that he wouldn’t be moved before his no-trade clause became effective in 2012. From the Columbus Dispatch’s Puck-Rakers blog:

“We’re told repeatedly that Carter’s anger is directed at the Flyers, that it has nothing to do with the fine city of Columbus and the likeable people therein. But the longer this goes, Blue Jackets fans can’t help but take this personally. To be born in Columbus is to carry a heavy inferiority complex. This certainly doesn’t help.”

Now Carter and his 11-year extension are in Columbus for the foreseeable future. While it’s understandable that Carter is upset from a personal standpoint, this is the ugly side of hockey that is a business. Carter obviously intended on finishing his career with the Flyers when he signed the long-term deal. Unfortunately for him, things haven’t worked out as he would have hoped. Moving for a job (which this is) is never easy and if he had assurances from the Flyers management, the deal is dubious at best. Regardless, it’s clear that Carter is taking the business side of hockey personally.

As has been pointed out, perhaps Carter’s anger will prove to help him in the long run. Never underestimate the talented athlete who thinks he’s been disrespected. Athletes in all sports can raise their level of play when they perform with a chip on their shoulder. That’s exactly what the folks over at the Blue Jackets’ blog Light The Lamp are hoping to see:

What I hope he will be doing shortly is turning his anger into motivation. What I hope he will be doing is circling Nov 5th on the Jackets schedule. What I hope he will be doing is realizing how important he will be to this team. What I hope he will be doing is talking to players who have actually lived in Columbus — I’ve never heard ONE complaint from a current or former player about this city.

Of course, the sooner Jeff Carter speaks to the public about the trade, the sooner all of this will go away. He and his agent can publish the usual, cliché filled press release and the team can turn their attention to acquiring free agents to play with Carter and Nash. But the organization will be left in a state of flux as Carter continues to draw this drama out. They could be out working on a deal with RJ Umberger using the line, “wouldn’t it be great to play with your old teammate?” Instead, Carter and his feelings about the trade are the last things management will want to bring up.

At some point, Carter will accept the deal and move on with his life. The Blue Jackets just hope its soon—they have plenty more deals to make if they want to be competitive next season.

Capitals send first-round pick Johansen back to junior

BUFFALO, NY - JUNE 24:  Lucas Johansen poses for a portrait after being selected 28th overall by the Washington Capitals in round one during the 2016 NHL Draft on June 24, 2016 in Buffalo, New York.  (Photo by Jeffrey T. Barnes/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Washington Capitals have sent prospect defenseman Lucas Johansen, selected 28th overall in this year’s NHL Draft, back to the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League.

From the Kelowna Capital News:

The Kelowna Rockets have yet to play a regular season game with a full lineup.

That will change this weekend in Prince George when defenceman Lucas Johansen and forward Calvin Thurkauf rejoin their WHL club for a two-game set against the Cougars.

Johansen, a first-round NHL draft pick this summer, is back from the camp of the Washington Capitals, while Thurkauf returns from the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The Capitals confirmed the news via Twitter.

Johansen, the younger brother of NHL center Ryan Johansen, appeared in Monday’s exhibition game for the Capitals, apparently leaving a positive impression on the coaching staff.

Still, Johansen doesn’t turn 19 years old until the middle of November. He also has some growing left to do at six-foot-one-inch tall and just 174 pounds, so sending him back to junior is the logical step.

“For a first game, to have that kind of poise playing defense, you don’t see it very often,” Capitals’ associate coach Todd Reirden told the Washington Post.

“So, it’s fun to watch, how he goes about the game. Certainly, I think it’s helped growing up in the family that he has and being around some of the players he’s practiced with. I think he has some special tools, in terms of his ability to slow down the play and see some things that other players don’t. He’s looking like an outstanding draft pick for us and a real great prospect moving forward.”

Shaw suspended three preseason games for boarding Connor Hobbs

TAMPA, FL - JUNE 02:  Andrew Shaw #65 of the Chicago Blackhawks speaks during Media Day for the 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final at Amalie Arena on June 2, 2015 in Tampa, Florida.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Getty Images
3 Comments

The National Hockey League has suspended Montreal Canadiens forward Andrew Shaw for three preseason games for boarding defenseman Connor Hobbs of the Washington Capitals in an exhibition game Tuesday.

Shaw was given a major penalty and a game misconduct on the play, as he slammed Hobbs “through the numbers, with speed” from behind into the end glass, as per Thursday’s video from the NHL outlining the suspension.

From the video: “It is important to note that Hobbs is never eligible to be checked by Shaw on this play. From the moment Shaw arrives at the faceoff dot, he sees nothing but Hobbs’ numbers. Hobbs makes no sudden movement just prior to contact that turns this hit from a legal hit into an illegal one.

“The onus is on Shaw to ensure that he can deliver this hit in a legal fashion, minimize the force, or avoid this hit completely. Instead, he hits forcefully through Hobbs from behind, driving him dangerously into the glass.”

In a bid to land a gritty forward to their lineup, the Habs acquired Shaw from the Blackhawks, who had been dealing with a cap crunch, during the NHL Draft. He later signed a six-year contract extension with Montreal.

Despite another concussion, Clarke MacArthur doesn’t plan on retiring

OTTAWA, ON - APRIL 26:  Clarke MacArthur #16 of the Ottawa Senators looks on prior to a face-off in Game Six of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Montreal Canadiens during the 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Canadian Tire Centre on April 26, 2015 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The Montreal Canadiens eliminated the Ottawa Senators by defeating them 2-0 and move to the next round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. (Photo by Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Clarke MacArthur suffered yet another concussion after being hit by Patrick Sieloff during a scrimmage over the weekend, but the veteran Ottawa Senators forward doesn’t plan on retiring.

Last season, the 31-year-old MacArthur played in only four games for the Senators due to concussions. According to the Ottawa Sun, he suffered four concussions in an 18th-month span.

Despite this latest concussion, MacArthur is still, at least publicly, planning to work toward a return to game action, saying in a post on Instagram that he was “encouraged” by how his body has reacted following this most recent incident.

“First off, I want to thank the team and its fans for all the support after the unfortunate incident on Sunday. To me, it was simply a hockey play that ended in a hit causing me to suffer a concussion, a play that could happen at any point,” MacArthur wrote on his social media page.

“We have been encouraged by how my body had reacted in the days since the injury and the team has been great to give me all the time I need to rest and recover. I will continue to consult with doctors and my entire support group, but I felt it important to let everyone know that my intentions are to work towards returning to the ice soon.”

Related:

Senators focus on MacArthur’s safety

Schwartz (hand) suffers scare at Blues practice, but Hitch says ‘he’ll be fine’

St. Louis Blues left wing Jaden Schwartz celebrates after scoring during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Florida Panthers, Friday, Feb. 12, 2016, in Sunrise, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)
AP
Leave a comment

You couldn’t blame the Blues for freaking out a bit today when Jaden Schwartz left practice after an apparent hand injury, and didn’t return.

It was last October, of course, when Schwartz fractured his ankle during practice, an injury that required surgery and sidelined him for 49 games.

Thankfully for St. Louis, it won’t be deja vu.

From the Post-Dispatch:

Coach Ken Hitchcock said Schwartz was fine but would miss some practice.

“He’ll need a couple days off, but he’s a lot like Fabbri,” Hitchcock said. “He’s probably not going to skate this weekend in any of the games but he’ll be ready to go next weekend.

“He’s day to day. He’ll be fine.”

Signed to a five-year, $26.75 million extension this summer, Schwartz will be a big piece of the Blues moving forward.

He’s coming off a good playoff run — 14 points in 20 games — and the club is hopeful he can build on the goalscoring form shown in ’13-14 (25 tallies) and ’14-15 (a career-high 28).