Trevor Gillies

Putting on the foil… Again: Islanders re-sign Trevor Gillies to one-year, two-way deal

4 Comments

When Islanders forward Trevor Gillies made his mark on the NHL season last year, it was done at the expense of the Pittsburgh Penguins in the middle of an on-ice fiasco back in February. In that game, Gillies delivered a brutal shot to the head of Eric Tangradi that left Tangradi knocked out cold on the ice.

The lasting image from that game saw Gillies standing at the doors as he was being sent off continuing to taunt and berate Tangradi. Those actions were followed up by a nine game suspension. Upon Gillies return from that he delivered a head shot to Cal Clutterbuck of the Minnesota Wild, a shot that earned Gillies a ten game ban.

After all of that and the negative PR associated with it, the Islanders and GM Garth Snow are giving Gillies another shot. New York re-signed Gillies to a one-year, two way contract that will see him either grow up and learn how to play physically the right way in the NHL or see him (most likely) stashed away in the AHL where he’ll wait his chance to make his mark on the NHL again.

The money isn’t known on Gillies’ deal but he made just $500,000 last season, the league minimum, when he was in the NHL. Gillies’ role in the NHL is to be intimidating and to be physical, but his reputation is now etched in stone as a guy who will deliver a dirty hit or a questionable hit to try and help his team.

Of course, our definitions of “help” may be different in how we see it and the Islanders see it. All eyes will be on him when he does suit up for the Islanders and any even slightly eyebrow-raising hit he delivers will be scrutinized. Let’s just hope that Gillies has learned from all the nonsense he unleashed last year and that the Islanders have a better idea of what they’re dealing with.

‘No Spurgeon tonight’ for desperate Wild

ST PAUL, MN - MAY 9: Jared Spurgeon #46 of the Minnesota Wild celebrates scoring a goal against the Chicago Blackhawks during the third period in Game Four of the Second Round of the 2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs on May 9, 2014 at Xcel Energy Center in St Paul, Minnesota. The Wild defeated the Blackhawks 4-2. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images)
Getty
Leave a comment

Desperate for a win and hosting the NHL-leading Washington Capitals, the Minnesota Wild be without defenseman Jared Spurgeon for a second straight game.

“No Spurgeon tonight,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said this morning. “He’s not ready.”

Spurgeon has already missed one game, Tuesday’s 4-3 OT loss to Dallas. He suffered a “deep bruise” Saturday in St. Louis, and his status for this Saturday’s game against Boston is uncertain.

The Wild are also missing d-man Jonas Brodin, currently on injured reserve with a broken foot.

That’s two significant injuries on the back end, as Spurgeon and Brodin each average over 20 minutes in ice time.

In a related story, Ryan Suter played a season-high 33:15 against the Stars, while AHL call-up Mike Reilly was out there for just 12:27.

Related: Yeo was ‘disappointed’ to see Hoppy the rabbit holding a ‘YEO MUST GO’ sign

Quenneville says NHL disagreed with overturned goal call

2 Comments

Perhaps Joel Quenneville was right to storm out of Tuesday’s press conference after expressing frustration with a disallowed goal.

On Thursday, Quenneville told reporters the NHL didn’t agree with the call made during Chicago’s 2-0 loss to San Jose — a decision in which Brandon Mashinter’s tally was wiped out, after officials judged Dennis Rasmussen had interfered with Martin Jones.

Mashinter’s disallowed goal came just days after Chicago was on the wrong end of another overturned marker. Last Thursday the ‘Hawks had one during an eventual win over Arizona, a call that sent Quenneville into histrionics on the bench.

Coach Q said storming out of Tuesday’s postgame presser was a culmination of calls going against his club, adding that the league provided a more detailed explanation of how and why these decisions are being made.

“I just think, we had a couple of occurrences in a short amount of time so obviously a little frustration there,” Quenneville said, per ESPN. “But we did speak to the league and got some [clarification] on the play.

“I just think there’s education across the board and you have a lot of people in the middle of the process making the decisions. As long as we’re getting right is what we’re looking for.”

Panarin’s illness ‘hopefully not long term, but he’s definitely out tonight’

Chicago Blackhawks left wing Artemi Panarin (72) celebrates after scoring an empty-net goal on an assist from Patrick Kane against the Winnipeg Jets during the third period of an NHL hockey game, Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015, in Chicago. The Blackhawks won 3-1. (AP Photo/Kamil Krzaczynski)
AP
1 Comment

From our friends at CSN Chicago:

Artemi Panarin will miss his second consecutive game due to illness and Corey Crawford will start when the Blackhawks host the Dallas Stars Thursday night at the United Center.

Coach Joel Quenneville said Panarin’s illness is “hopefully not long term, but he’s definitely out tonight.” Quenneville added that it’s comparable to what ailed Jonathan Toews prior to the All-Star break. Toews played through his illness for about a week but finally had to sit out the third period of the Blackhawks’ Jan. 26 game at Carolina. Toews also missed the All-Star weekend due to that illness and was suspended against Colorado on Feb. 2.

Panarin has 18 goals and 34 assists in 56 games, his 52 points by far the most among NHL rookies. Detroit’s Dylan Larkin is a distant second with 38.

This morning, Richard Panik skated in Panarin’s spot with Artem Anisimov and Patrick Kane.

Ehrhoff clears waivers; Jonathan Quick hurt?

Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, right, stops a shot as teammate Christian Ehrhoff, of Germany, and Columbus Blue Jackets' Scott Hartnell watch during the third period of an NHL hockey game, Thursday, Nov. 5, 2015, in Los Angeles. The Blue Jackets won 3-2. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)
Getty
2 Comments

Christian Ehrhoff has cleared waivers, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

The Kings made the 33-year-old defenseman available yesterday. It’s expected he’ll be assigned to AHL Ontario, with 23-year-old d-man Kevin Gravel getting called up.

“Nothing wrong with Christian Ehrhoff,” coach Darryl Sutter told reporters Wednesday. “We’re not exactly world beaters here. We don’t have the best defense in the league or the best team in the league. We’re trying to get better in a hurry.”

In addition to the Ehrhoff news, goalie Peter Budaj has been added to the Kings’ roster on the NHL’s media website, meaning Jonathan Quick (reportedly “day-to-day” with an injury sustained Tuesday in Boston) could miss some time.