Ah to be a sports fan in Boston. After having so much success with all of their pro (and college) teams in recent years, fans of the Bruins are salivating at the chance that the Bruins are next in line to win it all. After all, the B’s have been awfully good in recent years and with the team not having won the Stanley Cup since 1972 fans are anxious. Heck, the Bruins haven’t even made the Stanley Cup finals since 1990 when Mark Messier and Petr Klima broke their hearts in five games.
With those sorts of hopes, dreams, and expectations all built up into tonight’s Game 7 Boston Mayor Thomas Menino is hoping that regardless of the outcome tonight that cooler heads will prevail amongst the fan base. After sad incidents after the Celtics won the NBA title in 2008 and Patriots and Red Sox titles in 2004 that saw fans lose their lives amid euphoria, Mayor Menino is hoping that Bruins fans will play things a bit cooler.
“My message to fans who go to the game, enjoy the game and cheer on the Bruins to victory and after the game, behave,” Mayor Menino said.
“There’s always a few knuckleheads. Let’s face it there’s always a few folks who really don’t understand the sport, who come in there, and have a few drinks and try to mar it but 99 percent of the folks come there to watch a game and celebrate,” Mayor Menino said.
Hear, hear Mayor Menino. After all, we’re sure Bruins fans would hate to be compared to their rivals from Montreal who made a scene after beating the Penguins in the playoffs last year by tearing up downtown and even torching cars to celebrate getting past Sidney Crosby’s team in the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Surely Boston fans wouldn’t want to be put into the same category as Montreal fans, would they?
Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp
It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.
Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.
Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.
The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension
The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.
It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.
Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.