DallasStars

Report: Dallas Stars may not have new owner until late June

While we’re focused on following ownership stories in Phoenix, Atlanta, and St. Louis as well the Dallas Stars are inching closer to solving their own front office mess.

Dallas is in the process of getting things moving forward with Canadian businessman Tom Gaglardi to have him purchase the Stars from Tom Hicks. Hicks has been looking to get out of owning the Stars for some time now as he’s got his hands full with selling his other sports ventures like the Texas Rangers and his stake in Liverpool soccer. Gaglardi has emerged as the main man and while it’s a virtual certainty he’s going to be the next owner thanks to a deal that could be worth around $250 million, it appears they’re going to have to sweat things out a little longer to get things squared away.

A report from the Dallas Morning News today states that things might not be completed with the Stars and Gaglardi until late June. Mike Heika has the details on how the formality of a bankruptcy hearing will be needed to see if anyone is willing to outbid Gaglardi for the team.

That means while an official hearing might last only three days, Gaglardi would not be able to become the owner and authorize moves until late June. That window also goes for anyone who might try to outbid Gaglardi before the team goes to a prepackaged bankruptcy hearing or during the hearing, the sources said.

A bankruptcy hearing will be necessary to clear the team of potential lawsuits from current creditors. Because not all creditors are paid when a sale is completed, teams often are moved through prepackaged bankruptcy hearings. The Chicago Cubs did it in 2009, and the Rangers did it in 2010.

The Rangers’ hearing became cumbersome because a competing bid was put forward. The Stars are hoping their hearing will be quick and clean because they have learned from previous negotiations, the sources said.

The Texas Rangers had some drama come forth in their auction thanks to numerous parties wanting to get in on buying the team. We’re suspecting that a hockey team in Dallas, despite its successes, won’t attract the same kind of attention especially at that steep cost.

The other curious part is the timing of when things might be completed. If things are done by late June and Gaglardi is in place to start making decisions on where and how he wants to spend money, it could make a huge difference as to whether or not they get to keep All-Star forward Brad Richards.

Richards is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and he’s made it clear in not so many words that if the ownership situation is still up in the air in Dallas he might not be willing to stick around to see it get straightened out. If the Stars lose Richards over the summer, the pressure will be on GM Joe Nieuwendyk to find a way to replace is his playmaking ability. It’ll also cause fans to question why Nieuwendyk didn’t make a move to deal Richards to make sure the team didn’t lose him for nothing. If things don’t work out in a timely way, it’s possible you could see Richards traded before July 1 so a team can get exclusive negotiating rights with the UFA to be until July 1.

Still, that’s putting the cart before the horse in regard to Stars ownership as they’ll need to get Gaglardi squared away first before even deciding on what they can do about Richards. Stars fans will just have to hope things are taken care of in time so Richards doesn’t get away without a fight.

Bolts avoid arbitration with Namestnikov — two years, $3.875M

Vladislav Namestnikov
Getty
1 Comment

Tampa Bay has avoided Friday’s scheduled arbitration hearing with forward Vladislav Namestnikov, agreeing to a two-year, $3.875M deal on Tuesday evening, per ESPN.

Namestnikov, 23, had a breakout campaign last year, scoring 14 goals and 35 points in 80 games — all career highs. The former first-round pick also appeared in 17 playoff games for the Bolts, scoring a goal and three points while helping the club to the Eastern Conference Final.

Coming off a one-year deal in which he made $874,125, the diminutive Russian gets a nice pay bump with this latest contract, and a bit of security with the two-year term. He should play a fairly integral role next season, coming off a year in which he finished tied for fourth on the team in goals, with Tyler Johnson.

But while tonight may be about Namestnikov, it’s another Russian forward in Tampa Bay that everybody now has their eyes on — Nikita Kucherov, the playoff scoring sensation that declined to file for arbitration, but still requires a new deal.

Given some of the big-money contracts GM Steve Yzerman has handed out this summer — namely those to Steve Stamkos, Victor Hedman and Alex Killorn — the Kucherov negotiations are definitely ones to keep an eye on.

Talks ongoing between Wild and Dumba, meeting expected soon

dumbaeye
Getty
1 Comment

There’s just one piece of business left for Minnesota this summer — a new contract for RFA defenseman Matt Dumba.

And it sounds like that piece of business will soon be attended to.

From the Star-Tribune:

There have been ongoing talks between Wild assistant GM Brent Flahr and [Dumba’s] agent Craig Oster.

The two are expected to meet face to face in Calgary at the Hockey Canada camp.

Dumba, the former No. 7 overall pick, just wrapped his entry-level deal, coming off a campaign in which he set career highs in games played (81), goals (10) and points (26).

He also notched a pair of assists in the Wild’s six-game loss to Dallas in the playoffs.

Dumba, 22, did see his name surface in trade talks this season. There was a report in late January that he was the return piece in a potential swap for Tampa Bay’s Jonathan Drouin, and he’s been tied to teams looking for a blueline upgrade.

A good puck mover with offensive skills — and a right-handed shot — Dumba is definitely a commodity. What’s more, logic suggests the Wild could opt to move him, given the long-term financial commitments to fellow defensemen Ryan Suter (signed through 2025 at $7.53 million), Jonas Brodin (2021 at $4.16M), Jared Spurgeon (2020, $5.18M) and Marco Scandella (2020, $4M).

Minnesota has some other young defensive prospects in the system, too.

There’s former Gophers standout Mike Reilly, Miami of Ohio product Louis Belpedio and Gustav Olofsson, the 46th overall pick in ’13 that’s been honing his game in AHL Iowa (and made his NHL debut last season).

The Wild are in control of the Dumba situation and can slow play negotiations, possibly while re-exploring trade scenarios. Don’t forget the Bruins are still in search of the “transitional” defenseman they desperately want.

But should things go the expected way and Dumba re-signs in Minnesota, the Star-Tribune said a bridge deal is the “likeliest” outcome.

Journeyman enforcer Rosehill signs with Scottish team

Paul Bissonnette, Jay Rosehill
Getty
Leave a comment

Noted pugilist Jay Rosehill has followed in the footsteps of his fellow tough guys, and will try his hand overseas.

Specifically, in the United Kingdom.

On Tuesday, the EIHL’s Scottish-based outfit in Braehead — the Clan — announced it had signed Rosehill for the upcoming campaign. The move comes after the 31-year-old spent each of the last two seasons with Philly’s AHL affiliate in Lehigh Valley.

Though he’s slowed down in recent years, Rosehill has long been known as an extremely active fighter. At no time was this more evident than during the ’08-09 campaign, when he fought a staggering 33 times (yeah, thirty-three) while playing for AHL Norfolk.

Rosehill last played in the NHL during the ’13-14 campaign, scoring two goals in 34 games for the Flyers — while racking up 90 PIM.

Here’s an example of some of his most famous handiwork:

As mentioned above, the EIHL has landed a few notable ex-NHL fighters. Cam Janssen, Kevin Westgarth, Paul Bissonnette and Tom Sestito have all played there.

 

 

Veteran d-man Foster retires, moves into coaching

UNIONDALE, NY - DECEMBER 13:  Kurtis Foster #26 of the Minnesota Wild looks on during their NHL game against the New York Islanders on December 13, 2005 at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York.  The Wild defeated the Islanders 4-3.  (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
Getty
4 Comments

Kurtis Foster, who appeared in over 400 games during a 10-year NHL career, is hanging up his skates to enter the next phase of his hockey life — coaching.

Foster, 34, has rejoined his former junior team in OHL Peterborough as an assistant coach, per the Examiner. The decision comes after Foster spent the last three years playing overseas in the KHL and, most recently, in the German League.

The 40th overall pick in 2000, Foster is often remembered for a horrific leg break while playing for Minnesota during the 2007-08 campaign, in which his femur was shattered by Torrey Mitchell after Mitchell tried to prevent an icing call.

The severity of the collision and Foster’s injury — he underwent emergency surgery, nearly bled out and almost lost his leg — prompted an immediate rule tweak from the NHL, and has since been viewed as a catalyst for the league’s adoption of no-touch icing.

Impressively, Foster recovered from the broken femur to post a career-high 42 points in 74 games with the Lightning in ’09-10.

In addition to the Wild and Bolts, Foster spent time with the Thrashers, Oilers, Ducks, Devils and Flyers.