Brad Richards,  Patrick Sharp

Report: Tom Gaglardi’s offer to buy Dallas Stars could exceed $250 million

While the Atlanta Spirit group are almost in liquidation mode to get rid of the Atlanta Thrashers, the Dallas Stars’ sale could exceed $250 million. Tom Gaglardi’s offer to buy the team might exceed that surprising mark, according to Mike Heika’s sources.

It’s important to note that this is far from a confirmed report and is nowhere near a done deal, but if the team sells for that much, it would make them the ninth most valuable team in the NHL (according to Heika).

Forbes.com valued the team at $227 million, which left them in 10th place, yet those reports didn’t account for the team’s estimated losses of $15 million this season. Keeping those factors in mind, the lenders preparing to sell the Stars must be elated about that potential haul.

It’s important to remember that there’s still plenty to be done before this sale could be completed. Here’s a little more background on the situation from Heika’s report.

Gaglardi is in the middle of a 30-day exclusive negotiating window, according to several team and league sources. It is expected to end in late May. At that time, lenders who own the Stars will be able to shop Gaglardi’s offer around to see if other potential buyers might want to exceed it.

Others who have been interested in buying the team are Dallas businessman Doug Miller, Dallas businessman Billy Quinn, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Calgary businessman Bill Gallacher. Miller, Quinn and Gallacher have declined comment, while Cuban has said he is mostly interested in the Stars so he can get full control of AAC.

The team will likely go through bankruptcy court, a subject we discussed in this post. Heika provided a little more insight on that bankruptcy process, though.

All involved are hoping they will be able to take care of any auction situation before moving into the courts, and that the bankruptcy hearing can be closed within three days, as the Chicago Cubs did in 2009.

The Rangers’ bankruptcy went through several days in court that spanned almost two months in the summer of 2010.

There’s one more interesting piece to the puzzle: the pending unrestricted free agent status of the team’s most valuable player, Brad Richards. Considering the likely demand for his elite playmaking skills, the Stars should probably show him that they have the stable ownership group necessary to put a competitive team on the ice.

Richards spoke about the latest ownership developments and shared his thoughts about free agency (which begins on July 1) on NHL Live.

“Right now there is no deadline in sight because July 1 is so far away,” Richards said. “It’s try to get my body back to normal, relax and think things over and give it a chance over there in Dallas to see what happens with ownership. It sounds like things are moving a little bit right now. We’ll see. Sometimes you hear things differently than what’s actually happening. At least there is some movement and talk.”

(snip)

“The main thing will be talking to my family and trying to win,” he said. “It’s been too long since I had that chance to win the Stanley Cup. I kind of thought we’d have a couple more cracks at it by now. That will be the main focus. If Dallas is the place where I think they can win then that’s the place and hopefully it can work out. We’ll see what happens.”

Perhaps Richards provided the operative phrase in this situation: “We’ll see what happens.”

Blues, Capitals to play exhibition game in Kansas City

Pedestrians walk past the Sprint Center, Sunday, March 24, 2013, in Kansas City, Mo. The city was preparing for the third round of the NCAA college basketball tournament at the arena after the region received 6-10 inches of snow overnight. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
AP
1 Comment

Kansas City is going to host another NHL exhibition game.

The St. Louis Blues announced today that they’ll take on the Washington Capitals on Oct. 5 at Sprint Center. Both Vladimir Tarasenko and Alexander Ovechkin will be there, at least according to the press release.

The Blues last played in K.C. a couple of years ago when they took on the Stars in exhibition play. In 2011, a sellout crowd watched the Penguins and Kings at Sprint Center.

A market once considered a candidate for expansion or relocation — particularly after Sprint Center opened in 2007 — the NHL-to-Kansas City buzz has since died down. Last year, there was no interest from Kansas City when the league called for expansion applications.

Sensing an opportunity to make their team a favorite of all Missourians, not just the ones in St. Louis, the Blues have said they’d like to cultivate their fan base across the state in Kansas City.

Report: Pens won’t make Fleury (talks too much) available to media

at Pepsi Center on December 9, 2015 in Denver, Colorado.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Don’t expect many updates on Marc-Andre Fleury‘s health over the next little while.

Well — don’t expect them to come from Fleury, anyway.

Per TVA Sports, Fleury has been shut down from speaking with reporters until he’s fully recovered from the concussion that’s sidelined him since Apr. 2.

A translation of Renaud Lavioe’s piece for TVA, per PHT’s Joey Alfieri:

Fleury practiced with his teammates this morning at the Verizon Center.

What I can tell you is he’s feeling better, but the Penguins have decided not to make Fleury available to the media because he says too much.

The next time Fleury talks to the media, it’s because he’ll be ready to return.

Not to be mean, but Matt Murray has given up three goals or more in back-to-back games.

Earlier this week, Fleury told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that — despite participating in on-ice workouts — he’s still dealing with concussion symptoms.

“It’s one of the toughest things I’ve been through,” he explained. “Some good days, when you think you’re back, and some bad days, when you think it’s never going to get fixed.”

The Fleury situation seems to have rankled some within the Penguins organization — like head coach Mike Sullivan, who took issue with questions about the club’s handling of Fleury.

Here’s a related series of tweets from DKonPittsburghSports’ Josh Yohe:

Game 2 of the Pens-Caps series goes tomorrow from Verizon at 8 p.m. ET (NBCSN). Matt Murray, who allowed four goals on 35 shots in the Game 1 loss, is expected to start in goal.

North Dakota loses another d-man as Kings sign LaDue

BOSTON, MA - APRIL 09:  Paul LaDue #6 of North Dakota skates against the Boston University Terriers during the second period of the 2015 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey Championship semifinals at TD Garden on April 9, 2015 in Boston, Massachusetts.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Keaton Thompson, Troy Stecher and now, Paul LaDue.

On Friday, the Kings announced that LaDue — the junior d-man that helped North Dakota win the Frozen Four — agreed to a one-year, entry-level deal, forgoing his senior season in the process.

LaDue, 23, was part of a talented UND blueline that also featured fellow juniors Troy Stecher — who since signed with Vancouver — and Thompson, who inked with the Ducks.

So yeah, bit of an exodus.

Thankfully for North Dakota, freshman scoring sensation Brock Boeser has already committed to returning for his sophomore campaign, while junior defenseman Gage Ausmus — a San Jose draftee — vowed to go back to school as well.

As for Frozen Four MOP Drake Caggiula — a senior that was already leaving school — he’s already begun his tour of interested NHL suitors.

Per TSN, Caggiula has shortlisted six clubs: Philadelphia, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Chicago and Buffalo.

Wilson fined for kneeing Sheary

Wilson hit
18 Comments

No suspension for Capitals forward Tom Wilson. Only a fine.

That’s what the NHL’s Department of Player Safety decided after Wilson kneed Pittsburgh’s Conor Sheary last night in Washington.

The fine of $2,403.67 is the maximum allowable under the CBA, and, at the very least, it puts Wilson on official notice.

Wilson was not penalized on the play, and Sheary was able to leave the ice under his own power and remain in the game.

“We’re just going to play hockey, and the refs are going to call it the way they see it,” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan told reporters afterwards. “Our guys are going to play.”

This morning, Capitals coach Barry Trotz reportedly said of the play, “It was OK, but it wasn’t I would say necessary.”